1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 18:23
    I suppose I would be around 1400 in the OTB playing. And I am playing chess for about a year. Here I see many players who are fast learners, like getting from zero to 1700 in a year. I know correspodence and OTB isn't the same, but the ratings are certainly less or more similar. How is possible to improve so fast? I learnt very much so far, my problem is that often is very hard to put all learned theory into practical playing, otherwise I would be much better right now. I sometimes have my bright moments, like finding beautifull smothered mate in four moves in lightning, 2 min game, or so, but more often I think I could be much better than I show it at the moment.
    Maybe I have to be patient, wait for the moment when I'll be rewarded with sudden jump of playing strength because of all that that I have studied so far..?

Any opinions, fastlearners??
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 18:33
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I suppose I would be around 1400 in the OTB playing. And I am playing chess for about a year. Here I see many players who are fast learners, like getting from zero to 1700 in a year. I know correspodence and OTB isn't the same, but the ratings are certainly less or more similar. How is possible to improve so fast? I learnt very much so far, my problem is th ...[text shortened]... ing strength because of all that that I have studied so far..?

Any opinions, fastlearners??
    A lot of people will play chess somewhere else before coming here, either OTB or on another site. Everyone is given a starting rating of 1200, so people who are already better than that will rise quickly after joining.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 18:40
    I know that but I red many profiles like "I play chess for a year" or so, and their graph confirms that andshows big improvement from example 1100 to 1700
  4. back in business
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 19:00
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I know that but I red many profiles like "I play chess for a year" or so, and their graph confirms that andshows big improvement from example 1100 to 1700
    well, certainly some of them lie. and the rest are really hard workers or have real talent.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 19:11
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    well, certainly some of them lie.
    And some of them probably haven't updated their profile for a while.

It took me only a little over a year from starting to learn chess to breaking the 1700 barrier here. But my rating at that time was inflated due to some timeouts and high-rated players blundering really badly, so I was soon back to a rating around 1600 and have stayed there ever since. I spent quite a lot of time on chess in the beginning, I went through Josh Waitzkin's Chess Academy in Chessmaster 10, I use opening databases and the analysis board, and I take a lot of time to decide on my moves. I am quite sure my OTB rating if I had one wouldn't be anywhere close to my rating here. I think Correspondence Chess is much easier for beginners, because you don't need the same amount of visualisation skills, memory and experience as in OTB chess.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 19:13
    Lots of people that take up chess, devote themselves to it, and get some quality instruction reach a reasonably high plateau within one year. Those of us at 1700 or so, if the truth were known, are no more than patzers. Players over 2200 have some skill.

If you can spot and prepare several kinds of double attacks (forks, skewers, decoys, etc.), can checkmate with the minimum required material (a rook or two minor pieces--as long as they are not both knights--and a king), can promote a passed pawn, and have a sense for planning in the opening and middlegame, you should not be below 1500 on this site.
  7. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 20:30
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I went through Josh Waitzkin's Chess Academy in Chessmaster 10.
    I bet you enjoyed his grammatical errors 😛.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:10
    Improvement starts here Thread 54168
  9. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 21:24
    looking at your games you're definately stronger than 1400, so play more 1400 players and 1500 players and you should get to at least 1500 pretty quick 🙂
  10. Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 08:13
    If only it were that easy😛
  11. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 08:15
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    I bet you enjoyed his grammatical errors 😛.
    Chessmaster 10 needed a proofreader... I saw Queen spelled as "Qween" amongst other things...
  12. The sky
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 12:56
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    Chessmaster 10 needed a proofreader... I saw Queen spelled as "Qween" amongst other things...
    Maybe they were talking about User 283966?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree