1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    03 May '13 13:57
    I don't get it some of the recent checkmates are silly to see. Some are like having 3 queens to nothing. Don't people have the respect to resign and not lose so badly.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 May '13 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I don't get it some of the recent checkmates are silly to see. Some are like having 3 queens to nothing. Don't people have the respect to resign and not lose so badly.
    This has been discussed many times before.

The one point that was made by greenpawn34 is that some players may not be aware that resigning can be considered the appropriate thing to do. Some may believe that it is disrespectful to resign, and more respectful to allow mate. It is, after all, the aim of the game.

I doubt many of the players doing this are regular club players, and there is nothing in the TOS or FAQ suggesting that players should resign in such circumstances.

By contrast, there is something in the FAQ encouraging people not to take skulls immediately, and quite a few are more than happy to ignore this.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '13 14:32
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    This has been discussed many times before.

The one point that was made by greenpawn34 is that some players may not be aware that resigning can be considered the appropriate thing to do. Some may believe that it is disrespectful to resign, and more respectful to allow mate. It is, after all, the aim of the game.

I doubt many of the players doing ...[text shortened]... aging people not to take skulls immediately, and quite a few are more than happy to ignore this.
    It is respectful and honorable to resign more then get a mate.

Taking a skull is respectable to because it is like running out of time in a blitz game.

One thing this site should do is if you have only a king let and you take a skull it should be a draw.
  4. Joined
    22 Apr '13
    Moves
    03 May '13 14:32
    Getting 3 queens before you mate seems pretty disrespectful to me.
  5. e4
    Moves
    03 May '13 14:53
    Hi RB.

Go wil the flow, relax, leave them alone.
    Forget OTB play. This place is open to every person who can play chess
    no matter how strong they are.

Playing on 3 Queens down means the lad is possibly hoping for a stalemate.
    Once a player on here has been in a stalemate situation they very rarely resign.
    It's their game, it's up to them.
    The loser always has the choice when the game ends.

Playing on shows no disrespect, some may think resigning is a sign of disrespect.
    Taking more than enough Queens is again a player's choice.
    It's up to them how they play. If they are enjoying it then so be it.
    Of course it can and has backfired (see below for just two examples.)

Hoping for a stalemate?

Between 1st Jan 2011 and 31st Dec 2012 there were 4,939 stalemates
    on here from 1,354,243 games.
    This is from just two years. During that period User 202132
    Bodiea has been involved in 15 stalemates.
    (There may be another lad with more I was flicking through them in
    alphabetical order and got as far as the 'B's'. when deciding 15 was enough.)

On my OTB database of 6+ million games between 1900 and 2000
    there were 1190 stalemates

So in 2 years on here. 4939 stalemates
    In 100 years of OTB play 1190 stalemates.

It's a totally different world on here.

Three Queens in the hands of these lads is not always a winner.

evilhomer - kinggreyskull RHP 2012

Final Position Stalemate

viveka87 - prabaharan88 RHP 2012

Final Position Stalemate

Anyway rumour has it that Russ considering a 'Puzzle of the Day' on the
    first page of RHP so these masterpieces may be a thing of the past.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:04

Taking a skull is respectable to because it is like running out of time in a blitz game.

One thing this site should do is if you have only a king let and you take a skull it should be a draw.
    I was simply making the point that each of us tends to assume that it is 'obvious' that something is right or wrong.

For example, on the skulls point, if I had just signed up to this site and read the FAQ, I could reasonably expect people not to take a skull instantaneously. I could easily regard it as disrespectful for people to simply ignore this, when it is written in black and white for all to see.

OK - you don't agree. Fair enough. But then I don't agree that everyone not resigning is being disrespectful.

I would lay pretty good odds that quite a few of those players are not playing on just because they are sulking or being ill-mannered. They may simply not realise that their actions might be perceived as unsporting.

In fact, one of my earliest chess memories is Nigel Short allowing Kasparov to mate him in a game during their world championship match (I think this was after the main event was over). No-one thought that was disrespectful.

Yes, I hear you cry, but that was different because......

Well, because you understand chess, the position of the game, the etiquette, the norms of behaviour, when they can properly be dispensed with etc etc. Others may not, is all I'm saying.

And there is nothing on this site to help them. The only explicit reference to any form of playing etiquette on this site is not to take skulls immediately. Which everyone happily ignores, and feels fully justified in doing.

Can you imagine how confusing this must be to a 'newbie'?
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:132 edits
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:14

Almost as disrespectful as creating a whole load of open invites just to try and get the 10,000,000th game.....

😉
  9. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:41
    I just came across this master piece on the home page.

I laughed.

10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]Hi RB.

Go wil the flow, relax, leave them alone.
    Forget OTB play. This place is open to every person who can play chess
    no matter how strong they are.

Playing on 3 Queens down means the lad is possibly hoping for a stalemate.
    Once a player on here has been in a stalemate situation they very rarely resign.
    It's their game, it's up to them.
    Day' on the
    first page of RHP so these masterpieces may be a thing of the past.
    [/b]
    well in slow corr. chess you can always put the king in check like in this pic so that it is impossible to get the stalemate.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:50
    I was simply making the point that each of us tends to assume that it is 'obvious' that something is right or wrong.

For example, on the skulls point, if I had just signed up to this site and read the FAQ, I could reasonably expect people not to take a skull instantaneously. I could easily regard it as disrespectful for people to simply ignore thi ...[text shortened]... ls fully justified in doing.

Can you imagine how confusing this must be to a 'newbie'?
    The game with nigel i could understand if it wasn't a tournemant match.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    03 May '13 15:50
    Almost as disrespectful as creating a whole load of open invites just to try and get the 10,000,000th game.....

😉
    I always create 15 at a time anyways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree