1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 17:282 edits
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    Re5+ also works for white but it would not be my first choice - just a matter of my style - that's all. BTW - I love the Evan's Gambit - good choice for OTB chess.
    It is clear that michael liddle gave the best move with 22.Qd3+. I am still skeptical of 22. Re5+ because it gives up a rook for a knight with unclear results that I can't see in my head alone. Perhaps if I played it out on an analyze board I might be able to see it your way, but if one sees 22.Qd3+ in an OTB game he would be foolish to play anything else.

P.S. I have never played the Evan's Gambit OTB or on RHP. I should try it a couple times to decide if it is to my liking or not. I just tried the Marshall Defense for the first time against the Queen's Gambit and don't like it. It has left me with a pawn down and fighting for a draw with very little promise of a win without a blunder from my opponent and my opponent has refused to accept my draw offer.
  2. e4
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 03:303 edits
    If you read Fat Lady's post it he says...

"To give your tactical muscles a workout....." and then suggests Re5+

To see if you can dig out the mate in your head without moving the bits.

It's tinkering and squeezing. Why waste a good position, put your mind to work.
    There will come a time when the only win is a Re5+ type move.
    I could not see it, I thought chasing the King towards the Kingside pawns
    will mate in a few as it usually does but I saw wriggles.

In the game I would have taken the Bishop with check.
    Not to restore the material balance, you only do that if the King is safe.
    If you have a King on the run then your first thought must be to mate it
    and as White played Rxe7+ (which is what I would have played) to win the Bishop
    then I would have looked no further.

3. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 04:45
    I would have tried earlier on the attack. it looks unprepared but it really isn't on move 18.

I hope I would have played Rxe7+ !! on move 18. Its clear to me, but even if it seems unclear, I think I would have played it just to play the follow-up Qc7 (which is now Qc7+!) Now the king is forced back to E8! (bishop d7 doesn't work because of the move *I think* you overlooked twice ...Bxd6+)

With the king on e8, queen on c7, knight outta the way, Re1+ is brutal
    Seemingly the only way to block that check (king cant move, Qe7# is on board) ..the only black pieces that combinate to block the e-file successfully are the queen and bishop on e6... yet your superhero knight can force the black queen off the board by attacking that square as well. It appears that the Knight MAY block ...Ne5 but simply Rxe5! works because the d6 pawn is pinned to stop Qe7# again 🙂

Anyways, a brutal attack with 18 Rxe7+!! i think

maybe someonee superhero could display this on one of those boards... please? 🙂

18. Rxe7 Kxe7
    19. Qxc7+ Ke8
    20. Re1+ Be6
    21. Rxe6+ Qxe6
    22. Nxe6

-jenn
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 09:548 edits
    Originally posted by Jenn1482
    I would have tried earlier on the attack. it looks unprepared but it really isn't on move 18.

I hope I would have played Rxe7+ !! on move 18. Its clear to me, but even if it seems unclear, I think I would have played it just to play the follow-up Qc7 (which is now Qc7+!) Now the king is forced back to E8! (bishop d7 doesn't work because of the mov ...[text shortened]... .. please? 🙂

18. Rxe7 Kxe7
    19. Qxc7+ Ke8
    20. Re1+ Be6
    21. Rxe6+ Qxe6
    22. Nxe6

-jenn
    Just putting your idea into the PGN thingy:

If black does play Bd7...
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 12:341 edit
    Here is what I was thinking of when I was trying to make Re5+ work. It took me about five minutes to decide that Qf2+ worked (and another five minutes before then to rule out g4+ and Qe4+), and to be honest I would have abandoned the line at that point in an OTB game as I wouldn't have had enough confidence in my analysis. The notes seem to be a bit jumbled up, I hope it's obvious which moves they refer to.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 14:05
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Here is what I was thinking of when I was trying to make Re5+ work. It took me about five minutes to decide that Qf2+ worked (and another five minutes before then to rule out g4+ and Qe4+), and to be honest I would have abandoned the line at that point in an OTB game as I wouldn't have had enough confidence in my analysis. The notes seem to be a bit jumbled ...[text shortened]... 5, leaving White's bishop free to administer the coup de grace}
    6... Kf6 7. Bb2#
    [/pgn]
    I overlooked that Qf2+ idea. I guess that is okay if you enjoy cat and mouse play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree