1. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 09:47
    I'm creeping up on 1500 and would like to more aggressively work on my game. Can anyone please suggest some books that might help me out. For what it's worth... I would say my mid-game is weakest and I haven't formally studied any openings. I will often sacrifice points for position (which probably isn't too sound for someone at my level). I guess that makes me more of an offensive style of player. That said, I'm a quick study and am willing to entertain any thoughts /suggestions. Thanks.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:13
    Originally posted by Kevinmccaffery
    I'm creeping up on 1500 and would like to more aggressively work on my game. Can anyone please suggest some books that might help me out. For what it's worth... I would say my mid-game is weakest and I haven't formally studied any openings. I will often sacrifice points for position (which probably isn't too sound for someone at my level). I guess tha ...[text shortened]... That said, I'm a quick study and am willing to entertain any thoughts /suggestions. Thanks.
    If you haven't read the Yasser Seirwan Winning Chess series, I suggest you start with that. There are 7 books in that collection.
  3. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:31
    Originally posted by RahimK
    If you haven't read the Yasser Seirwan Winning Chess series, I suggest you start with that. There are 7 books in that collection.
    Good posting
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:49
    After the many recommendations on this site, I have just started reading Silman's 'How to Reassess your chess'. It barely touches on openings or end games and certainly seems like a good middle-game book. Mainly it looks at how to create and execute plans rather than just developing pieces and moving randomly. I have liked what I have read so far anyway.

Someone also mentioned 'The Art of Attack' by Vukovic (?), haven't read it myself but have heard good things.
  5. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:54
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    After the many recommendations on this site, I have just started reading Silman's 'How to Reassess your chess'. It barely touches on openings or end games and certainly seems like a good middle-game book. Mainly it looks at how to create and execute plans rather than just developing pieces and moving randomly. I have liked what I have read so far anyway ...[text shortened]... ned 'The Art of Attack' by Vukovic (?), haven't read it myself but have heard good things.
    They say that the authors analysis is flawed and when checked with fritz the other sde can avoid a checkmate and what not, I believe Dr. Nunn has foot notes of where its incorrect.
  6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 14:57
    Which book Homer?
  7. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 15:44
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Which book Homer?
    Im sorry, I was talking about the Art of Attack
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 15:52
    Have you read the book? The ideas may still be good I suppose even if some analysis is flawed, might not be spending money on it myself though now! Cheers for the heads up.
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 15:572 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 16:03

11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 16:12
    "'Classical Bishop Sacrifice'- A whole chapter on the well known Bishop sac on the castled position and the factors that need to be present for the sac to be succesful."

So that's how you learnt to beat me then Smaug 😉

Cheers for the info. Ok, so that's another opinion on it, the ideas are obviously pretty sound then and that was a glowing reference......I'm interested again. I'm probably the most fickle person I know, well, sometimes.
  12. USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 20:08
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Yeah, his books are great. If you haven't studied openings, I suggest you get Seirwan's Winning Chess Openings. I also found Winning Chess Strategies and Winning Chess Endings immensly helpful. Since using them, my rating jumped about 150 points. (Along with playing alot of practice games, practicing tactics, etc.)

His series is a must.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 20:431 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I mentioned it in another thread and I think others has done.
    The best book on attacking chess strategy ever written! I have improved several hundred points since reading it. 400+ pages dedicated to the attack on the King - the aim of the game, is it not? Divided into such chapters as;

'Focal Points' - Looking at squares around the King that the ooks are a tad advanced. Not ideal books to start with, esp not under 1500's.
    Ah, but you are wrong. I happen to own Art of Attack by Vukovic in algebraic notation, which makes things that much easier! (Not positive, but I think my version has many errors fixed (in the footnotes of course).)
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 19:51

15. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 20:00

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree