Recommended Slav books?

Recommended Slav books?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
19 Sep 07

Got any good recommendations on playing with (or against) the Slav?

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
19 Sep 07

A man named Glenn Flear writes some nice books on the slav (he is a grand too so you can trust his works).
There are a few super grand masters who play it as black but I dont think many of them have written books on it. You could always look up their games in a database.

g

Moves
19 Sep 07

My all-time favorite repertoire book is "Black Defensive System for the Rest of your Chess Career" by GM Andrew Soltis.

He recommends placing pawns on d5 and c6 against virtually all openings.

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 (Caro-Kann)

1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 (Slav)

s

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by magnublm
Got any good recommendations on playing with (or against) the Slav?
Not a slav player myself so cant really advice,
However a friend of mine working in the chess-bookshop in Amsterdam told me that the latest dvd by Alexei Shirov on the
slav is extremely good.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
20 Sep 07

As far as training DVD's go, The ABC's of the Caro Kann by Andrew Martin is also very good. It is a Chessbase CD, so if you don't have CB or Fritz already, you'll need to install the free CB viewer.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
21 Sep 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
I never understood those "play 1..Nc6 against everything" kind of books. It's usually two completely different systems anyway (even with similiar structures). It's not like you really narrow down anything (if you think that is good).

As for the actual topic, I think there is a book on the a6-slav, but I do not remember the name (a system I think is kind of interesting). I think it is supposed to be good.

Moves
21 Sep 07

My all-time favorite repertoire book is "Black Defensive System for the Rest of your Chess Career" by GM Andrew Soltis.

1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 (Slav)
maybe boring but efficient.
it is a solid reply against 1. NF3 / Reti stuff as well.

g

Moves
21 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Golub
I never understood those "play 1..Nc6 against everything" kind of books. It's usually two completely different systems anyway (even with similiar structures). It's not like you really narrow down anything (if you think that is good).

As for the actual topic, I think there is a book on the a6-slav, but I do not remember the name (a system I think is kind of interesting). I think it is supposed to be good.
I basically agree with your points. However, pawn structure often dictates middlegame plans, and if almost all of your games involve a pawn on c6, that narrows the number of middlegame plans that need to be mastered.

Also, if you play the Slav vs. 1 d4 and the Sicilian vs. 1 e4, what do you do after 1 d4 d5 2 e4? If you also play a Caro-Kann, then you just play 2...c6 and you're in familiar territory. Sometimes 1 Nf3 and 1 c4 openings transpose into 1 d4 systems, so dealing with transpositons if less tricky if you have a familiar ...c6 and ...d5 plan.

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
22 Sep 07

1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 (Slav)
thats interesting...
cuz i have virtually the same philosophy...
only difference being that i'm starting to experiment with the nimzo indian against 1. d4