Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Jan '17 06:43 / 2 edits
    Refuting the Queen's Fianchetto Nimzowitsch opening trap.

  2. 07 Jan '17 16:03 / 1 edit
    7. Qxg6+ Kd7
    8- Qg4+ and capture Knight on d4 must be better at first sight.

    edit -- no, I overlooked 8...Ne6
    Anyway, it's sharp position after ...Nxd4 but nothing was decided yet. Good stuff (or staff?!) for blitz games.
  3. 08 Jan '17 17:37
    Yes I agree.
    I came across it in an old GM Nigel Davis chess lesson. He didn't actually develop the position, but he noted that although the books all said White has the advantage after 7. Qxh8 he didn't agree, and thought black could win from that position.
    I played around with it and then tried it in a 40 minute game. At that time I was around 1900 and my opponent was a 2100 player. I won :-)
  4. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    09 Jan '17 14:16
    7.Qh8: was a mistake, as the Queen is out of play for too long. 7.Qg6:+ K any, 8.Qd3 looks better
  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    09 Jan '17 17:33
    Originally posted by sundown316
    7.Qh8: was a mistake, as the Queen is out of play for too long. 7.Qg6:+ K any, 8.Qd3 looks better
    That's an admission by White that he simply lost a piece.
  6. 10 Jan '17 01:01
    Maybe white was greedy in taking the knight. Perhaps retracting the queen would have been a wiser move for white?
  7. 10 Jan '17 17:07 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Maybe white was greedy in taking the knight. Perhaps retracting the queen would have been a wiser move for white?
    Actually looked at the board this time, no real way to retract the queen so I guess the moral to the problem here is king safety before attack.

    Looking again, perhaps 10.Nf3 works....

    I'm just rambling lol
  8. 10 Jan '17 22:21
    I post like I play. That 10.Nf3 doesn't work either!
  9. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    11 Jan '17 05:01
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Actually looked at the board this time, no real way to retract the queen so I guess the moral to the problem here is king safety before attack.

    Looking again, perhaps 10.Nf3 works....

    I'm just rambling lol
    White could play Qh3 with the idea that after a black Q check he can block with his Q rather than let her get eaten by Bc8. Trouble is ...Bf5+ Kd2 Bh6 hurts. (I took the lazy route and had the comp show me this stuff.)