1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '08 17:51
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    It is possible the reason the Bishops were missing at the church yard sale ,is that they were in the church vestry doing what a pair of Bishops normally do in there?😲
    Yes.

It is certainly possible that they were praying. 😉
  2. e4
    Moves
    16 Dec '08 19:38
    I'm on the case and have a chess supplier friend looking into it.

All you people making lewd suggestions about Bishops never
    read the post correctly.

It was on White Bishop and one Black Bishop.

Bishop's of opposite colour never mate. 😛
  3. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 00:06
    however,Bishops of opposite hue,can 'mate' if they also deliver the check. and what better place to arrange a 'mate' than in the privacy of the vestry?--------
  4. e4
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 00:25
    however,Bishops of opposite hue,can 'mate' if they also deliver the check. and what better place to arrange a 'mate' than in the privacy of the vestry?--------
    Bishops of an opposite hue....?

Show me the chess book that mentions Opposite Hued Bishops draw.

Oh No. You lot are not going to get away with your innuendo's on
    this thread, no matter how you colour the Bishops.

Bishops of an opposite hue indeed. I'm flabbergasted. 😳
  5. Joined
    19 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 01:57
    wait...but, how old are those pawns?
  6. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 03:01
    Only Bishops can see the truth in simple 'black and white 'as it really is,as they are always willing to 'come together' [in a vestry or other suitable meeting place],in a united effort to show that holiness does not prevent them from wearing dresses as and when the mood takes them,this therefore is the only reason for the acceptability of the frocking and defrocking proceedures as always ,in the privacy of the vestry.😀
  7. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 19:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Bishops of an opposite hue....?

Show me the chess book that mentions Opposite Hued Bishops draw.

Oh No. You lot are not going to get away with your innuendo's on
    this thread, no matter how you colour the Bishops.

Bishops of an opposite hue indeed. I'm flabbergasted. 😳
    As a professor of 'English' I feel entitled to point to the following-The Concise Oxford Dictionary-printed edition and reprinted edition 1990-definition-1a,'hue ' 'a colour or tint' the fact that I also have not yet encountered a published chess book which refers to the 'hue' of chesspieces, does not invalidate the use of the word hue in reference to chesspieces in general coversation, however unusual this may well be.It is also an established fact that black is not a valid colour but that white is and in many different shades,there being no shades to pure black.😉
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 21:04
    ...It is also an established fact that black is not a valid colour but that white is and in many different shades,there being no shades to pure black.😉
    When I am mixing basic pigment - red, yellow, blue - how am I to arrive at white? At least with red, yellow, and blue I can get very close to black.

I would say that with pigment white is as valid a color as black. Light, of course, is a different matter; however, my chess pieces are not made of light.

Dup-dup-dup-dupdup!!! I know some of you are dying to post about the RHP pieces on my monitor. Well, I already headed that off at the pass, so don't. 😵

HUMBUG!
  9. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 22:40
    A misunderstanding has occured but not by me!,in my previous post I state that black is not a colour/color regardless of how you chose to spell color/colour,either spelling we all know is valid depending upon which country you are in at the time of its use.White is a color/colour available in many different shades but black has no shades and cannot have anything other than a total pure black appearance.pure white however is the only pure totally natural colour in the universe,found only at the central core of the brighteat stars known to exist,and therefore cannot be artificially recreated in total perfection,either with made made or natural substances. Our sun [star] appears yellow from planet earth as a result of optical and other phenomenom,but is of course white.-----------😴
  10. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 23:24
    Originally posted by Badwater
    When I am mixing basic pigment - red, yellow, blue - how am I to arrive at white? At least with red, yellow, and blue I can get very close to black.

I would say that with pigment white is as valid a color as black. Light, of course, is a different matter; however, my chess pieces are not made of light.

Dup-dup-dup-dupdup!!! I know some of you are dyin ...[text shortened]... RHP pieces on my monitor. Well, I already headed that off at the pass, so don't. 😵

HUMBUG!
    Black is the absence of any colour, which is why black is technically not a colour, while white is the presence of colour. For example, light. Mixing different colours of light together in the proper proportion will give you white light, but while there is such a thing as black light, it is mis-named because it is not black.
  11. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 04:50
    Exactly so! yet another person of clear and precise understanding! Perhaps the light may yet dawn upon us all one day,who knows?😉
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 05:25
    Color in pigment is different from color in light.

With pigment, white is the absence of color and black is all colors combined. The primary colors are red, yellow, and blue.

With light, black is the absence of color and white is the presence of all colors. The primary colors are red, blue, and green.

Thus, one's color reference has everything to do with whether you're referring to pigment or light.
  13. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 13:05
    Without light, there can not possibly be colour. Therefore all colour comes from light, no matter what one is talking about. Of the several definitions in the dictionary, the definition of the word "black" is, "totally without colour," and that applies to anything. In this sense, I wonder if it is possible to see true black, since light must always be present for us to see.
  14. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 19:50
    To be totally without light [for normal sighted people]is by definition impossible within the universe as we know it,as even being at the greatest possible distance from an active or inactive star,existing or previously existing star/s will cause light to exist in all parts of the known universe so far as we currently understand the universe and stars.The one and only known constant within the universe is light even in the apparent lack of heat and or life-forms.However the total lack of colour provides to the human light receptive eye cells,an image of blackness. This however we know to be not always the case with other life-forms which live with us on what we call planet Earth,having better and or different light receptive eye cells. Examples are fish living deep underwater in conditions which would appear totally black to humans,but not totally black to such extraordinary creatures. Blackness[a total lack of light],is therefore determined by the vision capabilities of the individual species. Humans however,are known to generally speaking have relatively poor eyesight in dark or nearly dark conditions. This of course does not mean a total lack of like,merely that humans cannot detect it.--------------------😴
  15. Joined
    26 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:27
    Success!! I am very pleased to say that I was able to find two nearly perfect replacement Bishops!

While I appreciate the lively comments my original post generated, I would like to especially thank Green Pawn, Mr. John Massarella of Whitby Chess (http://whitbychess.co.uk) and Mr. Michael J T Lee of The Traditional Games Company (www.sac-games.com). Their effort and advice was truly appreciated

While the prodigal Bishops do possess some (very) minor differences from their kin, they are warmly welcomed back into the flock and wonderfully complete the set.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree