Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 13 Dec '08 19:44
    I recently received a beautiful Large Karachi British Staunton chess set. Unfortunately - it is missng two Bishops. One Black and one White. Does anyone have any advice where I might find replacement pieces? I've found the set sold in England (product code B217A) but the stores don't have individual pieces. Any assistance or thoughs you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
  2. 13 Dec '08 20:16
    assuming you bought it from a store and it was missing pieces..then the store should be able to replace or perhaps contact the maker

    if you got it from a friend or something and its missing....i would try googling it
  3. 14 Dec '08 06:24 / 3 edits
    Contact the House of Staunton and see what they recommend:

    http://www.houseofstaunton.com/index.shtml

    Shopzilla, maybe?

    http://www.shopzilla.com/games-puzzles/replacement-chess-pieces/14010700/products
  4. 14 Dec '08 17:08
    Simple.

    Throw away the other Bishops. Get a saw and cut two files off
    your chess board and play without the Bishops.



    (OK joke over - If you do not get any joy from any of the above
    links then PM me. I may ask you to send the Bishops you have to
    another address to ensure you get the correct size and shade.)
  5. 14 Dec '08 18:39
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Simple.

    Throw away the other Bishops. Get a saw and cut two files off
    your chess board and play without the Bishops.
    My understanding is that this is Capablanca's first draft.
  6. 14 Dec '08 18:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

    (OK joke over - If you do not get any joy from any of the above
    links then PM me. I may ask you to send the Bishops you have to
    another address to ensure you get the correct size and shade.)
    You need new bishops, too?
  7. 14 Dec '08 18:50
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    You need new bishops, too?
    Yeah. I'm missing two Bishops for my Staunton.

    (I'll this guy sends me his)
  8. 14 Dec '08 19:31
    Fools mate in "disappointing chess set" chess is possible, but it is white who mates, and it is in three moves.

    What is it?
    (dual solution)
  9. 14 Dec '08 20:11
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yeah. I'm missing two Bishops for my Staunton.

    (I'll this guy sends me his)
    That's what I suspected! I'd never trust a green pawn.
  10. 14 Dec '08 20:57
    Originally posted by LunarKnight
    I recently received a beautiful Large Karachi British Staunton chess set. Unfortunately - it is missng two Bishops. One Black and one White. Does anyone have any advice where I might find replacement pieces? I've found the set sold in England (product code B217A) but the stores don't have individual pieces. Any assistance or thoughs you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Use salt and pepper shakers like any normal person.
  11. 15 Dec '08 20:08 / 1 edit
    Thanks for the suggestions. Here's the funny part: the chess set came from a church yard sale - kind of ironic that the bishops were missing, eh?
  12. 15 Dec '08 20:09
    Originally posted by LunarKnight
    Thanks for the suggestions. Here's the funny part: the chess set came from a church yard sale - kind of ironic that the bishops were missing, eh?
    Ha ha! You should go back to that church and tell them that you need one white and one black bishop!
  13. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    16 Dec '08 16:54
    It is possible the reason the Bishops were missing at the church yard sale ,is that they were in the church vestry doing what a pair of Bishops normally do in there?
  14. 16 Dec '08 17:02
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    It is possible the reason the Bishops were missing at the church yard sale ,is that they were in the church vestry doing what a pair of Bishops normally do in there?
    That sort of behaviour can lead to a bishop being defrocked!
  15. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    16 Dec '08 17:04
    Is that not what'they normally do in there' in any case??