1. Palmerston North
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 22:17
    Whats a good reply from black, after the English opening? And if you know that the opponent as black would start with Sicilian? What is a good move??
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 22:30
    Originally posted by Knight Square
    Whats a good reply from black, after the English opening? And if you know that the opponent as black would start with Sicilian? What is a good move??
    English Opening and Sicilian Defense are not flank openings, the name is reserved for openings like 1. b4 or 1. g4
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 23:26
    Originally posted by drjegc
    English Opening and Sicilian Defense are not flank openings, the name is reserved for openings like 1. b4 or 1. g4
    hmmm, a pawn move either side of the center would count as a flank move if you ask me.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 00:022 edits
    Use your usual opening against the sicilian... Against the english use what you feel comfortable with. One opening is not going to work for everybody, you have to find the ones that suit you. Right now I'm very happy with the King's Gambit with white, Sicilian as black against 1.e4 and Benko Gambit as black against 1.d4. I like these openings because they are all very strong attacking openings. They all lead to sharp/tactical play, which I enjoy much more, and feel I play much better with, than the "boring" positional openings like 1.c4 and 1.d4.
  5. Palmerston North
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 04:05
    Are you sure? I saw in a Chess Book, under flank openings the 'English Opening' but you are right about the Sicilian
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 04:31
    Are you sure? I saw in a Chess Book, under flank openings the 'English Opening' but you are right about the Sicilian
    If he's right about one then he must be right about the other...
  7. Joined
    03 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 12:211 edit
    An idea for 1.c4 is to play an opening simiral to your defence to 1.d4 (Ideas with g6 if you play king's indian def. or ideas with Nf6, e6, Bb4 if you play Nimjoindian ).
    An interesting antisiclian is Bb5 ideas (1.e4 c5 2Nf3 d6/Nc6 3. Bb5)
  8. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 12:28
    English is a flank opening according to my books..
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 01:462 edits
    yeap you are right English is a flank opening , not the Sicilian ... but I disagree ... both are not flank opening to me ( its curious if there is an inverted Sicilian variation with the English Opening .... 1.c4 e5 and this is a flank opening , but the normal Sicilian 1.e4 c5 isnt !!! 😕 ) to include only the English and not the Sicilian on flank openings is arbitrary ! 😠
  10. Belfast
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 07:50
    Nothing wrong with the Smyslov System for Black.
    1...e5, 2...Nf6, 3...Bb4, 4...0-0, 5...Re8 and continue by either trying to push the e-pawn or building for ...d5 with ...c6. Often you can develop the QKt by ...Nd7-c5.
  11. Seattle
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 15:53
    The English is flank and i like eighter 2...d6 transposing to queens gambit or 2....e5 followed by 3. Nc3 Bb4 4.....Bxc3
    with the doubled pawns often a very exposible weakness appears
  12. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 18:29
    Both the English and the Sicilian are flank openings.

I think the reason many dont consider the Sicilian to be a flank opening is that the term "flank opening" implies something a little unusual (eg Bird's, Grob). The Sicilian is very mainstream.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree