1. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 05:09
    I heard some player have resigning and right away, i've done it with a player here, rated 1353. I did not see his queen was attack and tought only moving my king, so I resign.
    Game 6673893

has this happen to any other ? or OTB
  2. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 05:33
    Yes resignalitus is a completely normal condition for chess players to have
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 05:37
    I was only talking about resignation in winning position, giving up when you should win.
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 05:58
    I believe you
  5. e4
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 06:28
    Hi

it's a lot more common that you would think.

Blunders & Brilliancies a very good book by Ian Mullen & Mo Moss
    has a whole chapter dedicated to players, some quite strong,
    resigning in won positions.

One (not in the book) is legendary in Edinburgh.

James 'Two Queens' Turner resigned as Black in this position
    in the 2008 Edinburgh Congress.

Here is the full Game and I've contunied the game from the
    position in the diagram to show the win. It's quite an entertaining game.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    I heard some player have resigning and right away, i've done it with a player here, rated 1353. I did not see his queen was attack and tought only moving my king, so I resign.
    Game 6673893

has this happen to any other ? or OTB
    I've read about grandmasters who've resigned in winning positions. I don't remember who or where I read it. It (the narrator) could be seirawan, silman, kotov, dvoretsky or euwe. ๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 16:14
    ๐Ÿ™‚ For many years I wondered why grandmasters resigned losing positions!! Until I gained a fundamental knowledge of the endgame I didn't know why they resigned. I couldn't win the game even from a superior position. It was a great satisfaction when I could examine grandmaster games and not only understood why they resigned, but also was able to find mistakes in their games. Many grandmasters make fundamental mistakes under time pressure or stress.

I've had opponents resign winning positions that I didn't see at all!! Of course, you never tell them you didn't see it, but it really makes you feel stupid. ๐Ÿ™‚
  8. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyรณ!
    Moves
    12 Sep '09 17:00
    Happens all the time. You just need to make one mistake and it could turn your win to loss.

My coach always tells me to continue fighting until the end, but I have no patience.
  9. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '09 23:44
    Here's a list of 35 games where this happened:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/resigntxt.htm

At the bottom there's a link to download the collection.
  10. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 03:381 edit
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    Happens all the time. You just need to make one mistake and it could turn your win to loss.

My coach always tells me to continue fighting until the end, but I have no patience.
    I don't have a problem with that. A lot of people on this site think players are being unethical if they do not resign a lost position. I've played a lot of games where the opponent would not resign a lost position. Many times they are not being unethical; sometimes they want to play it out just to see how the opponent thinks.
  11. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 04:00
    Generally, But in some position, exchanging piece only reduce tension and we have to keep them OTB. Black want exchange in the Benko gambit.

BUt I was talking, not understanding the position or missing an element and resign, like i've done, not seeing the queen would still be attack, i only tought about the king.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 17:51
    I do not think I have ever resigned a won game. I have failed to play the winning move and played the game to a draw and played some of the most foolish moves and lost the game.
  13. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 18:50
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I do not think I have ever resigned a won game. I have failed to play the winning move and played the game to a draw and played some of the most foolish moves and lost the game.
    Same here, I either blow a won game or just blunder! Then I resign ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 19:06
    Sometimes, is it possible that you tought you blow that game but in fact, you missed a tactical trick and resign, whitout having done any mistake in the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree