1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 20:25
    : And A Guide To Gambit Play

It's kind of funny how chess knowledge (even random things) seem to show up when a clock is ticking. I understand what Lasker meant when he talked about trying to forget everything he had learned.

Well, today I guess I finally snapped. The old Greenpawn crept into my mind with the clock ticking.

1.d4 d5 2.Bf4 e5!! just begged to be played.

The "gambit" originated in 2010 in this thread Thread 133575 .

This is only an unrated blitz game against a much lower rated player, but it takes an interesting course. I think my opponent played considerably well.

I also think this game serves as a guide to gambit play and the way compensation is gradually achieved by slight advantages here and there.

SUPPLEMENT (With 20.Qxd4):

2. e4
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 02:501 edit
    Hi Paul

Just noticed this thread.
    Good stuff, although from move 12 onwards the position is just a middle game
    that could have come from any opening where Black sacs a pawn for a free game.

It has good shock value but I think Blitz is the only place where this pawn toss
    will succeed though if I was 100% sure I be getting 2.Bf4 I would sling out 1...d5
    and play 2...e5 OTB just to challenge myself.
    (the sooner I can get a losing position, the better I play) 🙂

Since that post and the times I've remembered to play 1...d5 (1...Nf6 is automatic)
    I've not met 2.Bf4. I'm getting loads of 2.Nf3's to which I'm playing 2...Nc6
    and then e5. 2.c4 is of course getting 2...e5.

Edit:
    Blitz play has taken a real nose dive recently. I'm leaving bits hanging due
    to mouse slips. I'm having to do my mouse clicking with the second finger (try it),
    my forefinger, or what ever it is called sometimes stiffens up and it is painful to bend. Most likely an age thing or years of playing barre chords on a guitar.
    Also losing loads on time. (I always play 4+0 and take Black).
    Looks like the old brain is also winding itself down....Ah well....mustn't grumble.

Don't know why I just don't play 1..e5 v 1.d4 and go for the Englund Trap.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 02:552 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Paul

Just noticed this thread.
    Good stuff, although from move 12 onwards the position is just a middle game
    that could have come from any opening where Black sacs a pawn for a free game.

It has good shock value but I think Blitz is the only place where this pawn toss
    will succeed though if I was 100% sure I be getting 2.Bf4 I would sling out ing 2...e5.

Don't know why I just don't play 1..e5 v 1.d4 and go for the Englund Trap.
    I was going hog wild with gambits a few months ago, partially inspired by this excellent webpage:

http://www.chessville.com/UCO/CN/index.htm

And yes, I have even dabbled with 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 e5, which he labels the Omega-Osiris Gambit!

Be careful though, there is a lot of wild stuff there. 🙂

Edit: I almost always play 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 d6 (or Nc6 with d6/f6 depending ... but no Qe7). I have only been really busted about 3 times out of 20, and I managed to save those games too. If I play something other than 1. ...e5, I'm just taking a break from it.

2nd Edit: 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 d5 from that site, does suprisingly well, provided you know a little about the Elephant Gambit.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 07:161 edit
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    : And A Guide To Gambit Play

It's kind of funny how chess knowledge (even random things) seem to show up when a clock is ticking. I understand what Lasker meant when he talked about trying to forget everything he had learned.

Well, today I guess I finally snapped. The old Greenpawn crept into my mind with the clock ticking.

1.d4 d5 to Qg2, so it appears white must repeat the position. } [/pgn]
    23...Rg4+ wins a queen for a rook.
    In the SUPPLEMENT game.
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 08:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In the SUPPLEMENT game.
    Nope ... 24.Nf4 🙂
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 11:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In the SUPPLEMENT game.
    Says the 36th best player on this site. 😞
  7. e4
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 11:54
    Knowing me, and I know me very well.
    I'd have gone for the trick-shot. I like to save up my doubled or discovered checks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree