1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 02:511 edit
    it would be far more helpful if the anotation was in some sort of mechanical code korch (eg, in PGN)

to follow both the game and the commentry I have to load the game Pgn into Fritz, and then alt&tab these forums and fritz, it becomes even more problematic when there are rather long variations....

whereas, if it were Pgn, with a single copy&paste all the tedious work would be done in an instant.

and also, has anyone prompted tebb for annotation, or even eval of korch's anotation? just wondering, its always nice to hear the ideas of both sides.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 04:05
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    it would be far more helpful if the anotation was in some sort of mechanical code korch (eg, in PGN)

to follow both the game and the commentry I have to load the game Pgn into Fritz, and then alt&tab these forums and fritz, it becomes even more problematic when there are rather long variations....

whereas, if it were Pgn, with a single copy&paste ...[text shortened]... ven eval of korch's anotation? just wondering, its always nice to hear the ideas of both sides.
    To get PGN you should have click on link of the game and choose option "Get PGN of this game".

David Tebb is reading these forums too. Making more or less qualitative annotation takes some time and maybe Tebb is too busy.

(Actually I dont know if I would make annotation of that game if I did not promise to do that)
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 04:07
    Originally posted by Korch
    To get PGN you should have click on link of the game and choose option "Get PGN of this game".

David Tebb is reading these forums too. Making more or less qualitative annotation takes some time and maybe Tebb is too busy.

(Actually I dont know if I would make annotation of that game if I did not promise to do that)
    yes that gets me the game, but not the commentry....
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 04:36
    yes that gets me the game, but not the commentry....
    I have no idea how to combine PGG with text.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 04:48
    I have no idea how to combine PGG with text.
    [Event "rated untimed match"]
    [Site "Free Internet Chess Server"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "White player"]
    [Black "Black player"]
    [Result "*"]
    [WhiteElo "0"]
    [BlackElo "0"]
    [ECO "C23"]
    [TimeControl "0"]

1. e4 {Here is an example of PGN with symbols, commentry and varaitions.} e5 2. Bc4 b6 3. Qh5 Bb7 $4
    (3. ... Qe7 {...is much better} ) (3. ... g6 {..is also a blunder...} 4.
    Qxe5+ Ne7 (4. ... Be7 {is even worse!} 5. Qxh8 ) 5. Qxh8 ) {black resigns because of Qxh7#} *
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 05:16
    [Event "rated untimed match"]
    [Site "Free Internet Chess Server"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "White player"]
    [Black "Black player"]
    [Result "*"]
    [WhiteElo "0"]
    [BlackElo "0"]
    [ECO "C23"]
    [TimeControl "0"]

1. e4 {Here is an example of PGN with symbols, commentry and varaitions.} e5 2. Bc4 b6 3. Qh5 Bb7 $4
    (3. ... Qe7 {...is much b ...[text shortened]... e7 {is even worse!} 5. Qxh8 ) 5. Qxh8 ) {black resigns because of Qxh7#} *
    Ok. I`ll try to make also PGN version on next annotation.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 17:06
    Ok. I`ll try to make also PGN version on next annotation.
    thankyou, it would be most helpful.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 22:17
    One funny blitz game played few minutes ago.
  9. e4
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 07:441 edit

whereas, if it were Pgn, with a single copy&paste ...[text shortened]... ven eval of korch's anotation? just wondering, its always nice to hear the ideas of both sides.
    Really, to get the best from these notes.

Print them and play them out over a chess board using real pieces.

The art of studying with a board and pieces is being lost.
    You will be a better player for it.

Good Thread Korch.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 08:26
    It's quite possible to put two browser windows on your screen side by side, the game in one and the commentary in the other.

Richard
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 21:06
    In his recently released MCO-15, GM Nick Defirmian claims that White only gets a slight advantage (plus over equal) after 1 e4 g5.
  12. Joined
    16 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 02:27
    The opening you speak of as the Grob attack in reverse,is called the Basman's Defense.The opening IS NOT "very risky" as you put it.
    As`a quote from MCO-14 on pg 381...."The reaction most players have with white is this must be really bad"."Infact,black is only SOMEWHAT WORSE,and if white plays with too much disregard he can have troubles"unquote.This quote was written by Nick De Firmian,a 3 time US GM champion.With precision play in the right hands of a very strong player,say,1900 or above,it can be a very useful surprise weapon,especially in blitz.No,the Basman is not a great choice for an opening,but i personally have won many games with it,including 3 day games.White must play very precise to take full advantage of this "slightly"weaker opening and many times fails to do so.Again I reiterate,it is only slightly weaker than many other black responses and if one studies many of the branch lines of the Basman in fine detail,the black player should have no problem by mid game with precision play.Your example is fine,but i could show you dozens of examples where white loses.
    The trompowsky attack for white is another example of what many players deem weak,and in reality it is not.Both the Basman and the Tromp,many times takes your opponent into"murky uncharted waters" and if the Basman player as black knows what to do like a sharp razor as well as a Tromp player can as white,and those players are either A rated or above,it can be a formidable weapon.
  13. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 07:272 edits
    Originally posted by Vortex of Doom
    The opening you speak of as the Grob attack in reverse,is called the Basman's Defense.The opening IS NOT "very risky" as you put it.
    As`a quote from MCO-14 on pg 381...."The reaction most players have with white is this must be really bad"."Infact,black is only SOMEWHAT WORSE,and if white plays with too much disregard he can have troubles"unquote.Thi as white,and those players are either A rated or above,it can be a formidable weapon.
    De Firmian and his MCO is not authority for me, but I agree that White is not able to get large advantage if Black plays precise. And De Firmian`s statement is not in conflict with statement that this opening is risky.

The reason why I`m calling this opening risky is that Black needs "precision play" (as you have already pointed out) much more than in other openings, otherwise Black can got very bad position.

Trompovsky is much more solid than Grob revesed (also called Borg or Basman defence) and have been used by strong GMs (Anand for example). So I dont think that it can be compared with 1...g5.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 08:58
    One funny blitz game played few minutes ago.
    [pgn]
    [Event "Rated game, 3m + 0s"]
    [Site "Main Playing Hall"]
    [Date "2008.09.26"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "The whip"]
    [Black "Korch"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B00"]
    [WhiteElo "2261"]
    [BlackElo "2348"]
    [PlyCount "78"]
    [EventDate "2008.09.26"]
    [TimeControl "180"]

1. e4 {9} g5 {2} 2. d4 {2} h6 {1} 3. c3 {1} Bg ...[text shortened]... {4} Kb7 {1} 39. b4 {27} c6# {(Lag: Av=0.18s, max=0.4s) 0} 0-1
    [/pgn]
    Were all of those sacs sound? Or you had your opponent in time trouble and launched some pieces at him in order to make him to think and lose some more time?
  15. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 11:36
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Were all of those sacs sound? Or you had your opponent in time trouble and launched some pieces at him in order to make him to think and lose some more time?
    Pawn sac on f7 was sound - I`ve got positional compensation. After bishop sac on c4 (actually White should take knight on f5 instead of 22.c4?!) I had at least perpetual check. 27.Kb3? was not good idea (better was 27.Kb1 ad Black has nothing better than force perpetual check)
    28...Rf6? was not losing, but Black could win instead with 28...Nxh4 (with idea to play Rxf3 (or f2 if Nxh4).

29...Qc3? was serious mistake - better was 30.Qc2 with at least perpetual check.

30. exf6? was bad idea - After 30.Rc1 White would have extra piece without threats to their king.

32...Ba3? was bad idea - better was to force draw with 32...Qc3+

36.Re3 was decisive mistake. but it was not so easy to calculate that after 36. Bb2! Nb5+ 37.Ka2 Nc3+ 38.Ka1 Qxb3 39. Bxc3 Qxc3+ 40. Kb1 White king will be able to escape from perpetual check and White will win.

Actually it was me who spent more time than my opponent - when game was finished I had only 2 seconds left.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree