Reversed Grob against David Tebb

Reversed Grob against David Tebb

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VoD

Moves
28 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Korch
De Firmian and his MCO is not authority for me, but I agree that White is not able to get large advantage if Black plays precise. And De Firmian`s statement is not in conflict with statement that this opening is risky.

The reason why I`m calling this opening risky is that Black needs "precision play" (as you have already pointed out) much more than in ...[text shortened]... n used by strong GMs (Anand for example). So I dont think that it can be compared with 1...g5.
You are incorrect.Your statement said..."this opening is VERY risky"unquote.Nicks statement is that "it is only somewhat worse."So yes,Nick does disagree with you and if you want to call that "in "conflict"with YOUR original statement... then so be it!You ARE incorrect.
The tromp is far less risky than the Basman,but I used that as an example for players who are not aware of the complexities that can exist with that opening.Many many players do not know how to handle the Tromp(or Basman)...so it becomes "automatically"more risky then say,a well known Ruy Lopez line.Less risky,however for masters and Gm's....but we are not necessarily talking about masters and Gm's in these forums,now are we?Yes,as you mentioned the Tromp is played on a GM level,but certainly alot more rarely,since statistically it DOES represent a higher degree of risk,and is mostly avoided in GM play,except as a surprize weapon.The Basman on an average club player rating level,is,by my opinion,a very GOOD choice.Not a good choice on higher levels.I love the Tromp.but if I'm playing for a trophy in a USCF tourney,for example,I will not take the risk and instead play a well known English line over a Tromp.I'm speaking to the majority of players on this site,who wish to play unusual openings but may end up avoiding them if a player like you(Korch),states that the opening of the Baseman is "VERY risky"....and it is not!White for example,in the Tromp.without razor play will not equalize until approx.mid game,if they can do that at all.So again this opning is more solid than the Basman,but only if one studies the lines very well.There has not been alot of literature written on the Tromp(and the Basman for that matter)(compared to many other openings)and it is well know among stong players and GM's that the Tromp is still undergoing study and new lines are being found as I write this.
Another opening for white that I use in USCF OTB competition is the Sokolsky Opening 1.b4. Even De firmian stated he was beaten by this 1.b4 opening.Yes it is risky(alittle).How risky?That is a strongly relative term.It depends really upon your opponent,his strength,his preparedness.My opinion is that it is less risky than the Basman,but that is argumentative.I have won many 1.b4 opening against 2200+players.
I am just a visitor to this site and do not plan to make a home here.I'm too busy with USCF OTB tourneys,Gameknot and other sites.My ave. well established rating is between 2300-2400.I will not accept long game challenges,but thanks all for asking!

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
28 Sep 08

Originally posted by Vortex of Doom
You are incorrect.Your statement said..."this opening is VERY risky"unquote.Nicks statement is that "it is only somewhat worse."So yes,Nick does disagree with you and if you want to call that "in "conflict"with YOUR original statement... then so be it!You ARE incorrect.
The tromp is far less risky than the Basman,but I used that as an example for pla ...[text shortened]... een 2300-2400.I will not accept long game challenges,but thanks all for asking!
Your statement is based on absurd presumption that "risky" and "worse" means the same.

In my previous post I did explain why I consider this opening to be risky and you showed yourself unable to argue with that.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
28 Sep 08

Originally posted by Vortex of Doom
The tromp is far less risky than the Basman,but I used that as an example for pla ...[text shortened]... een 2300-2400.I will not accept long game challenges,but thanks all for asking!
It's allright, VoD pal; I understand allright that you are very busy with USCF OTB tourneys, Gameknot and other sites. Maybe some other time I will have the chance to learn more about the Royal Game by you, a strong chessplayer well established 2300-2400;

Amici Sumus.

Best regards from Athens, Greece;