1. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 15:52
    For what it is worth I offer this practical example. I have just played in an OTB tournament. With my RHP rating of around 1400, I found that I could not live with any of my opponents who were rated at more than around 1200 FIDE.

Probably does not mean much in this debate, but there you go.
  2. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 16:091 edit
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    People are always asking how they compare and the standard answer is they don't, buuuuuuuuut, I believe I have a simple solution.
    USCF ratings show the percentile breakdown of the different rating ranges, for instance, 2200+ is the top 1% of all players, 1800+ the top 8%, and a rating of 1000 is right about at the 50 percentile rank.
    Sooo ...[text shortened]... be at about the same on RHP. That may give you an idea of the rating differance in point value.
    There are different factors involved in comparing ratings here to OTB.
    In OTB theres a timer, and a set amount of time to make moves. Here you can play on for a looong time, by just making a move within 3 days.On the net, you cant see your opponent, as OTB, theres an intimidation factor, as your opponent is right across from you.
    Here you can consult a database, or book. Not so in OTB.
    Here theres not as much seriousness to make good moves, as in OTB theres a stress factor to make the best moves, or you might be too tired to make good moves, as here you can wait untill your rested.

My rating heres is higher then my OTB rating, but i hardly play tournaments anymore.
    I'd like to see if i can match my rating here to my OTB, then ill reciprocate, and agree about your point..😀
  3. Garner, NC
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 16:17
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    All players in USCF are by definition tournament players, that's how you get a rating. I'm suprised you thought it worth bringing up.

Anyway, as far as a bias in playing strength between the two groups, that certainly is a consideration, but we're talking about a very large population sample here, almost 11000 players now on RHP. If the sample s ...[text shortened]... he two groups unlikely, and if there is, it's so small as to be statistically irrelevant.
    If there is a bias, a large sample size cannot correct it. That would be like taking the average height of first graders and comparing to the average height of 9th graders and thinking they'll be equal if you take a large enough sample.

Think of your average USCF player. This person has to pay money up front, give up a whole Saturday, and maybe a whole weekend, travel to another city in some cases, play one game at a time, generally not able to do anything else useful while his/her opponent is thinking.

You can become a RHP player by spending 3 minutes filling out a form on the Internet while downloading your IPod tunes. You can start a game and never finish, thus artificially boosting your opponents rating. It cost no money to join, no committment, no travel. Do you really think this site will on average draw the same caliber of talent on average as does the USCF?
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 17:36
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Do you really think this site will on average draw the same caliber of talent on average as does the USCF?[/b]
    No!
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:23
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    There are many more objections that can be raised, but for the entertainment value, I submit:

My current RHP rating puts me at the 96th percentile
    My current USCF rating puts me at the 83rd percentile (70th if you exclude scholastice players).

Clearly, I find stronger competition OTB than I do at RHP. On the other hand, the approximately 400 RHP membe ...[text shortened]... me is a larger number than the number of USCF members in my state that are rated higher.
    So, with that said, could we say that a rating on RHP is would have to be within 200 points of one's true rating in the USCF, CCF, or BCF?
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:29
    Originally posted by BLReid
    While amusing, there is no basis for this thread. There is simply no correlation between RHP ratings and OTB ELO ratings. There are too many variables at play, not the least of which is the little point about database use that can easily raise a player's strength by as much as 100-300 points, depending on where they are to begin with. Conversley, if you don't ...[text shortened]... an OTB. It isn't difficult to grasp, but apparently it isn't easy to accept for some people.
    Here Here! To the database assertion! But, what if a player uses nothing, and has a 1569 and above 1600 sometimes on RHP? What if he just plays casual chess against these players? No books... nothing? What would that say of his rating? hehe
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:35
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Here Here! To the database assertion! But, what if a player uses nothing, and has a 1569 and above 1600 sometimes on RHP? What if he just plays casual chess against these players? No books... nothing? What would that say of his rating? hehe
    Like I said before, anyone getting over 1600 like this without using db's and books has my respect. The higher you get, the more respect I have for that person.

To me that means that the person true rating is above his Rhp rating for him to get such a rating against potential db users.

Of course you could just beat up on lower rated player to get that rating since it is Rhp and you can pick your opponent etc...

In that case, I'm disappointed.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:36
    So, with that said, could we say that a rating on RHP is would have to be within 200 points of one's true rating in the USCF, CCF, or BCF?
    I say if you are active at both OTB and here and don't mess around blitz moves on Rhp then I would say yes.

Rhp +/- 200 point should be around your OTB rating.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Otb CFC 1852 14.6% in Canada out of 5550 players

Rhp hasn't settled yet 1755 currently top 6% on here out of the 3000 active player I think.

So what you are saying is that Rhp ratings are inflated?
    Okay! But, check this out:

RAHIM:

Otb CFC 1852 14.6% in Canada out of 5550 players

RHP 1755 currently top 6% on here out of the 3000 active players I think.

Okay, let's take that CFC rating and change it to USCF stats:

Otb USCF 1952 (CCF is 100 points stronger when compared to USCF)

RHP 1755

200 point deviation. So, what ever your rating is on RHP, you can be assured it's within 200 points give or take of your true USCF OTB rating.
  10. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I say if you are active at both OTB and here and don't mess around blitz moves on Rhp then I would say yes.

Rhp +/- 200 point should be around your OTB rating.
    Well, I'm tired of even thinking about ratings. I think chess is just fun all the way around. 🙂 But, it's nice to know your true rating. It takes time to get a good answer in OTB tournaments. International Master Alex Dunne of Chess Life magazine told me on the phone that OTB wise, a person cannot truly get a good idea of their real strength until they've atleast played 100+ games in OTB tournaments. Whatever you have at that point, you can pretty much be assured of your true strength.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:50

200 point deviation. So, what ever your rating is on RHP, you can be assured it's within 200 points give or take of your true USCF OTB rating.
    You can't say that. You can never say that.
  12. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:52
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You can't say that. You can never say that.
    Yeah, that's true. I guess you can't.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:01
    K lets do this. How many people player OTB actively and Rhp?

Actively meaning they play in OTB rated tournments say 1's every 3 months and have played in an OTB tournament at least once this year and have a established rating. Write your rating on here. I'm pretty sure that they are within 200 points neglecting the obvious mass timeout issues and people playing as if it was blitz on here.

CFC 1852 Rhp 1763 but it hasn't settled yet. Last tourney I played in was 8 week long one, Jan and Feb every thursday. So it's very recent. That's what I consider Active in OTB.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:08
    I've played 2 USCF events so far in 2006, and played in 7 last year. Current USCF rating is at my peak, 1618. RHP 1728. I aim to cross 1800 on RHP this year and 1700 USCF.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I've played 2 USCF events so far in 2006, and played in 7 last year. Current USCF rating is at my peak, 1618. RHP 1728. I aim to cross 1800 on RHP this year and 1700 USCF.
    2/2 anyone else?

Hey Wulebgr. Whats the offical USCF site?

Do they have a rating comparsion for USCF to Fide using USCF memeber ratings who have played in Fide touranments and comparing their ratings?

Similar to:

http://www.chess.ca/CFCvsFIDE.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree