1. under your bed
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 15:55
    I've been playing this for few months and have decided to stop playing ita as i've come to the conclusion that its ether a death or glory type opening in so far I either butcher black about 30% of the time or my attack fails and my 0-0-0 king is crushed...not much in the middle - anyone else have experience playing the richter-rauzer?
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Aug '11 23:10
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I've been playing this for few months and have decided to stop playing ita as i've come to the conclusion that its ether a death or glory type opening in so far I either butcher black about 30% of the time or my attack fails and my 0-0-0 king is crushed...not much in the middle - anyone else have experience playing the richter-rauzer?
    I think your experience is relatively typical. It's a "play for a win" approach to the Sicilian, and definitely not the tool of someone looking to draw!
  3. Pities the fool
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 19:12
    Interesting thread is interesting. Not!

I'm surprised you are still playing chess judging by how quickly you drop openings e.g. Thread 140575.
  4. under your bed
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 19:26
    Originally posted by kopatov

I'm surprised you are still playing chess judging by how quickly you drop openings e.g. Thread 140575.
    jog on..
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 20:251 edit
  6. Pities the fool
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 21:12
    "Try" the Four Knights Game and tell us how you get on. What a tosser.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by kopatov

The Richter-Rauzer is a variation white plays against the Sicilian, while the Nimzo-Indian Defense is a black defense against 1. d4.

One would not "give up" on one to play the other (quite literally a "black and white" distinction), and there is no indication in the other thread that he ever stopped playing the Nimzo against 1. d4, so the comment "how quickly you drop openings" doesn't make any sense, unless there is other information not indicated in the thread.
  8. under your bed
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 22:011 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    The Richter-Rauzer is a variation white plays against the Sicilian, while the Nimzo-Indian Defense is a black defense against 1. d4.

One would not "give up" on one to play the other (quite literally a "black and white" distinction), and there is no indication in the other thread that he ever stopped playing the Nimzo against 1. d4, so the comment " ...[text shortened]... s" doesn't make any sense, unless there is other information not indicated in the thread.
    be careful or a little troll might come out of his cave and bash you with his bishop..
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 22:11
    be careful or a little troll might come out of his cave and bash you with his bishop..
    You are correct, of course, and I should know better. I won't make the mistake again.
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 01:07
    One of the better chess forums under seige...

OP- When you identify an opening that gives you problems try playing through a bunch of games quickly in the lines that are causing you problems to get a feel for typical maneuvers etc.

A couple years back I was having problems with the Alapin Sicilian (playing for a win against a lower rated player) until I played through several hundred games in the line at sub 5 min a game.

Maybe with forced lines you are dealing with a calculation issue, but quiet moves are often the genesis of seeing a lot of games and leting intuition do it's work.
  11. Pities the fool
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 05:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 17:06
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    One of the better chess forums under seige...

OP- When you identify an opening that gives you problems try playing through a bunch of games quickly in the lines that are causing you problems to get a feel for typical maneuvers etc.

A couple years back I was having problems with the Alapin Sicilian (playing for a win against a lower rated player) until ...[text shortened]... t quiet moves are often the genesis of seeing a lot of games and leting intuition do it's work.
    I am a big fan of this idea, and sometimes I carry it a step further, and I look at a large number of games from a particular GM who has scored well with the opening or variation in question. For instance, I studied every GM Edvins Kengis game I could find when studying Alekhine's Defense, as he is a true Maestro when playing it.

And here's a little serendipity for this idea. I used to play the Sicilian Dragon, but I faced the Alapin (1. e4 c5 2. c3) most of the time, and didn't do well against it. I decided to play the 2. ... Nf6 variation against it.

Since the games often go 1. e4 c5 2. c3 Nf6 3. e5 Nd5, I decided to study Alekhine's Defense to get used to the position to help against the Alapin variation. I ended up enjoying it, and after scoring well against higher rated opposition in two tournaments, decided to adopt it and retire the Dragon.

You just never know where the game will take you sometimes.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 17:45
    I am a big fan of this idea, and sometimes I carry it a step further, and I look at a large number of games from a particular GM who has scored well with the opening or variation in question. For instance, I studied every GM Edvins Kengis game I could find when studying Alekhine's Defense, as he is a true Maestro when playing it.

And here's a little ...[text shortened]... opt it and retire the Dragon.

You just never know where the game will take you sometimes.
    I've come to love the way people slam in that first antisicilian move, even online you can almost hear the shout "aha! what do you think of THAT, dragon guy!" - then you get to blitz back the typical alapin moves, winning time, because the anti-lines are of course the most fequent lines you play as a dragon player.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I've come to love the way people slam in that first antisicilian move, even online you can almost hear the shout "aha! what do you think of THAT, dragon guy!" - then you get to blitz back the typical alapin moves, winning time, because the anti-lines are of course the most fequent lines you play as a dragon player.
    "Ahaa! Mitä ajattelet, Dragon kaveri!"

It seems to be equally true in Finland and Florida, and has probably been translated into as many languages as the Bible.

I suppose this may be an additional reason to carry on with the Richter-Rauzer (and I remember when English speakers used to say "Richter-Rauzer" or "Rauzer Attack" vs the Dragon before the term "Yugoslav Attack" became popular)- so many Sicilian players see the anti-Sicilian lines more than the so-called main lines, and a well-prepared player on the white side may actually surprise black!
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 19:30
    "Ahaa! Mitä ajattelet, Dragon kaveri!"
    heh. 🙂 oh right, you had some finnish roots or something?

yeah, richter-rauzer would definitely surprise me tons more than alapin, closed, morra, gpa or classical dragon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree