1. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 01:03
    Magnus Carlsen performed brilliantly as the rising stars won in amsterdam, many think he is the future world champion, including me, he will be very near 2700 after the latest tournament!!!! What do you think of him? future world champ?
  2. washington
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 01:11
    i think its insane that he is that good at such a young age. it does help having a lot of good teachers that are high ranked GM's. if any person had a GM teacher and practicing like 5 hrs a day you would be able to reach a GM level in a matter of years.
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 01:16
    Originally posted by kmac27
    i think its insane that he is that good at such a young age. it does help having a lot of good teachers that are high ranked GM's. if any person had a GM teacher and practicing like 5 hrs a day you would be able to reach a GM level in a matter of years.
    it is insane but i disagree very much so that with loads of training at a young aga anybody could reach gm, tho theyd be much better. Thats not really relevent imho, anyway, how many people could stand to practice so hard at a young age, thats part of what makes him great.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 01:18
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    Magnus Carlsen performed brilliantly as the rising stars won in amsterdam, many think he is the future world champion, including me, he will be very near 2700 after the latest tournament!!!! What do you think of him? future world champ?
    I think he'll discover new fields of intrest and not bother to put in the work required to become WC.
    If he does stick with chess I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it all the way.
  5. washington
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 02:13
    well lets put it this way. if you could play chess for the rest of your life without having to have a job and let chess pay for you. youd put all the effort it took to become the best if you had the chance now wouldn't you. i am not saying hes not brilliant cuz he is a genius for his age. he is very fortunate to have all the oppertunities possible and i think he'll stick with it but he may persue something else just in case it doesn't work out which the only way it wont if he becomes brain damaged lol.
  6. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 02:19
    well lets put it this way. if you could play chess for the rest of your life without having to have a job and let chess pay for you. youd put all the effort it took to become the best if you had the chance now wouldn't you. i am not saying hes not brilliant cuz he is a genius for his age. he is very fortunate to have all the oppertunities possible and i think ...[text shortened]... just in case it doesn't work out which the only way it wont if he becomes brain damaged lol.
    im a decent player and thats it, and no matter how much work i do i could NEVER EVER be a gm, and thats true for most i would say
  7. washington
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 02:20
    so your telling me if you had GM's help your game after playing you you could not improve? i find that hard to believe.
  8. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 02:23
    so your telling me if you had GM's help your game after playing you you could not improve? i find that hard to believe.
    lol, why would i say that, in fact i said the exact opposite earlier in this thread, of course you would improve, that doesnt mean youll be a gm. Improvement and being gm are worlds apart.....
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 02:46
    lol, why would i say that, in fact i said the exact opposite earlier in this thread, of course you would improve, that doesnt mean youll be a gm. Improvement and being gm are worlds apart.....
    I'm with alex here. I doubt I could ever reach GM level, even with GM coach. I'd certainly get very, very good though.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 04:261 edit
    Intense training with GM coaches at a young age will make anyone a better chess player than otherwise possible, but this doesn't mean that these benefits will turn anyone into a GM.

Practice at anything for long enough and you will improve until you reach your natural peak. Everyone has limits defined by nature and no amount of work can change this. I can workout as much as I like and eat all the right things, yet I will never be able to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I don't have broad shoulders, my muscles don't grow that large etc. I can look quite muscular, but at a point, it's impossible to get any bigger. This point comes much earlier for me than it does for Schwarzenegger. I don't have the right genetics to look like him.

Just as not everyone can be a Schwarzenegger, Agassia or Mozart , not everyone can be Kasparov. GMs work at improving their understanding of chess as much as most people work at their day job. Some perhaps even more. For example, Fischer studied chess in the middle of his school classes. It was almost never enough for him. Work is the most important component of becoming a GM, yet there has to be a natural advantage too. There has to be talent in order to create the potential necessary to make all that work useful. Otherwise, it's like trying to teach astrophysics to a retarded child. He may understand a little here and there, but he will never reach the level necessary to be an expert in the field. The world's best in almost any endeavor have a little talent to back up a lot of work. Not everyone can be a GM, no matter the conditions.
  11. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 07:01
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Intense training with GM coaches at a young age will make anyone a better chess player than otherwise possible, but this doesn't mean that these benefits will turn anyone into a GM.

Practice at anything for long enough and you will improve until you reach your natural peak. Everyone has limits defined by nature and no amount of work can change this. I ...[text shortened]... ttle talent to back up a lot of work. Not everyone can be a GM, no matter the conditions.
    Let's say 100 babies from birth are put into a special program to become GM's. From the age of 1 they are taught that that is the purpose of life. This may give them the ambition to learn, which is what most of you say puts the GM's apart from the others. So how many of them do you think would grow up to be GM's? Anyone can be a GM. It's just a matter of how hard they actually are willing to sacrifise.
  12. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 07:03
    Originally posted by pizzintea
    Let's say 100 babies from birth are put into a special program to become GM's. From the age of 1 they are taught that that is the purpose of life. This may give them the ambition to learn, which is what most of you say puts the GM's apart from the others. So how many of them do you think would grow up to be GM's? Anyone can be a GM. It's just a matter of how hard they actually are willing to sacrifise.
    a hundred random babies.....o gms, imho, you would need a bigger number
  13. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 07:35
    a hundred random babies.....o gms, imho, you would need a bigger number
    So people are genetically born with GM's in their blood your saying? Or did you read the whopping two lines of my post?
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 08:29
    Originally posted by pizzintea
    So people are genetically born with GM's in their blood your saying? Or did you read the whopping two lines of my post?
    If I make an Example of IQ....

some people belive thats in order to have a 2700 elo, you must also have (or be close to) 170 IQ

so, in order to be a GM you would need an IQ of 150.

in a sample of 100 babies, I think the chances of 2 or more having 150 IQ's and the mental drive and dedication to move chunks of wood would be very rare indeed.

If High inteligence (IQ) is a requirement to reach the upper levels of the chess world then it is clear not everyone is cut out to be a GM

if on the other hand, Inteligence is not a main contributing factor, then most people, with enough work, could become GM's.

...If I ever become an IM, I'll know which one of these conclusions is true.
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '06 12:11
    Basic requirements for making it to GM:
    an average IQ (between 110-120)
    start young (at the latest around 15 years of age)
    a lot of hard work and dedication
    a little bit of natural talent for the game

If you can meet all those and stick with it for 10 to 15 years chances are you'll be a GM 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree