1. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 14:07
    I'm looking for directions to any online resources to help me read a bit more about this type of endgame. The literature I have access to is notably devoid of this specific endgame - other than that with accurate play, R vs N is a draw. I have lots of R + p vs B + p information, but none with Knights. Strange that. Is it so infrequent or blindingly obvious, it doesn't need to be written about?

Before you go look: Yes, this relates to a game I'm playing and, no, I'm not asking for help, just references and some reading to point me in the right direction.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 15:35
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    I'm looking for directions to any online resources to help me read a bit more about this type of endgame. The literature I have access to is notably devoid of this specific endgame - other than that with accurate play, R vs N is a draw. I have lots of R + p vs B + p information, but none with Knights. Strange that. Is it so infrequent or blindingly obvio ...[text shortened]... 'm not asking for help, just references and some reading to point me in the right direction.
    This subject is way above my pay grade, but FWIW, here goes.

I wasn't able to find any online resources. (It's probably too complicated to easily post on the internet.) However, the books "Basic Chess Endings" by Fine, "Fundamental Chess Endings" by Muller, and "Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual" have a few examples. The Dvoretsky book tries to make a couple of general statements, but it's clear that these positions are complicated enough that they can't be completely distilled down to a generalized rule. If you can easily and quickly get your hands on one of these books (especially Dvoretsky's book), it might help you a little.
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 00:45
    I believe there's a chapter on it in Horowitz' How to Win in the Chess Endings - and oldie but a goodie.
  4. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 07:01
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I believe there's a chapter on it in Horowitz' How to Win in the Chess Endings - and oldie but a goodie.
    Alas, not. R vs B only.
    By now, I've got a decent idea on the potential pitfalls and how to play a R vs N endgame to win. A couple of pawns on the board vastly complicates the situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree