Rook endgame

Rook endgame

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ

Moves
05 Jul 12
2 edits

I've just finished a game against a much stronger opponent.

Jump to say move 46. Was this a drawn position? or should I have managed to win it. I had an advantage, but I can't see how to exploit it without exposing my king to a perpetual check. I must say, in my opinion, my opponent played the endgame wonderfully too.

Edit - well he WAS much higher rated than me when we played. Closing the gap now.

Here are the current player ratings [White "Dewi Jones"] [Black "Marko Krale"] [WhiteRating "1522"] [BlackRating "1561"] [WhiteElo "1522"] [BlackElo "1561"]

Edit again - actually, move 53 is where i lost it if it was a won game, but i dont see anything else to do.

Moves
06 Jul 12

Looking at it briefly I would say that it was a draw at that point. K, BP, RP and R is often a draw vs. K and R if the defending side's king is positioned where it can stop hold the two queening squares. The defending side needs to have an active rook ready to check the opposing king from behind and from the flank. I think Rc6 was better than Kb5. Also after you played Kb5 and he checked on b2 you could have played Rb6. JMHO after a quick look.

D

Moves
06 Jul 12

e4

Moves
06 Jul 12

Duchess is correct but a diagram helps it sink in and twists the knife. Feel the burn.

White played 49.Kc6 but 49.Kc4...

...forces resignation.

The double threat of Ra7 Mate and Kxd3 cannot be met with just one move.

t

Moves
06 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Dewi Jones
I've just finished a game against a much stronger opponent.

[pgn][Event "June 2012 Hardcore Grand I"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2012.06.15"] [EndDate "2012.07.04"] [Round "1"] [White "Dewi Jones"] [Black "Marko Krale"] [WhiteRating "1522"] [BlackRating "1561"] [WhiteElo "1522"] [BlackElo "1561"] [Result "1/2-1/2"] [GameId "9347790"] 1. f it was a won game, but i dont see anything else to do.
Not much that hasn't been said already but I would point out that on move 28 rather than a4 you're Kf1-e2 idea would be much more effective. Rule of thumb: in an endgame get your pieces to optimal squares before pushing your pawns. This is because a pawns value goes up the better placed your pieces are to support them but goes down the further they advance unsupported.

Moves
07 Jul 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
White played 49.Kc6 but 49.Kc4...

[fen]8/5R2/8/k1P5/2K5/3r4/8/8 b - - 0 49[/fen]
...forces resignation.

The double threat of Ra7 Mate and Kxd3 cannot be met with just one move.
That position reminds me of the final position in the Saavedra composition. Know your classics!

Richard

D

Moves
05 Sep 12

e4

Moves
05 Sep 12

True Duchess.

And did you notice who Black was?

(you missed your turn to twist the knife. I would not have hesitated) 🙂

It was none other than the dreaded Marko Krale.
Yes, my hero, he who has 27 stalemates.

Change my note to:

Forces Black to play for a stalemate. 😉

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
06 Sep 12

True Duchess.

And did you notice who Black was?

(you missed your turn to twist the knife. I would not have hesitated) 🙂

It was none other than the dreaded [b]Marko Krale

Change my note to:

Forces Black to play for a stalemate. 😉[/b]
As soon as I saw Marko Krale's name, I heard the theme to the X-Files playing in the background.

This thread is classic LOL. You can't make this stuff up. And the fact that it is educational chess is just icing on the cake.

Moves
07 Sep 12

It was none other than the dreaded Marko Krale.
You say that, but he's still also the second-most active player on this site. With that many games, it's no wonder that he has a lot of stalemates as well. What I'd like to know is who on this site has the most stalemates per X games played. That would be more relevant to who should be crowned Stalemate King. (But that's a boring database trudge, and I'm not going to do it myself.)

Richard