Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    27 Feb '10 20:56
    Hi, I just finished Game 7183255. I obtained a good, (maybe winning) position early on, and then missed a simple tactic, giving my opponent a free pawn, and returning material equality. However, I did have an advanced rook pawn, and felt I might still have a win. Unfortunatly, I was unable to capitalize on this, and ended up drawing.

I was wondering whether anyone sees any improvments and ways for me to win after around move 35.

2. 27 Feb '10 21:22
    White rook looks stuck, and the only threat is the e-pawn. Maybe your king could have snagged that pawn before heading to b3.

Wouldn't 50... Kd4 work? Maybe?
  3. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    27 Feb '10 21:28 / 2 edits
    Doesn't white just advance the b-pawn then?

Edit-maybe not. I have to look at that line.

Edit2 - Well, I looked, and I couldn't find anything to stop white from just pushing the b pawn.
  4. 27 Feb '10 22:40
    You said you drawed but I can't really see how..
    B can't hold both pawns even with the extra rook as it seems
    I mean, black needs 2 turns to castle, in which w can promote his e pawn.
    Becasue after the b pawn is captured and b is left with his faraway king and a rook, it is b who has to struggle to draw, not w..
    So can someone try that line? I can't read or play that far since my ending theory sucks.
  5. 27 Feb '10 23:09
    Originally posted by Lidan
    Becasue after the b pawn is captured and b is left with his faraway king and a rook, it is b who has to struggle to draw, not w..
    So can someone try that line? I can't read or play that far since my ending theory sucks.
    Black just keeps checking... and checking... and checking... etc.
  6. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    28 Feb '10 00:16
    Originally posted by Lidan
    Black just trades his rook for the e pawn once it promotes, leaving the black king to devour the pawn.
  7. 28 Feb '10 05:58 / 1 edit
    I think white has no choice but to give his rook for the a-pawn, and when he'll have done it. black's pawn will be advenced far enough to queen, but black will kepp checking black. forever. and will treath the -g-pawn if something like Ke8 happens.

Hoverer, that pawn structure black had was horrible...
  8. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    28 Feb '10 07:21
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.