Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 17 Oct '06 17:45
    In the opening, is sacrificing a knight to take a rook a good move? I recently made the trade and am wondering if I am being tricked by a good player or if I took advantage of the mistake of a mediocre player.
  2. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    17 Oct '06 17:50
    The generally accepted practice is to discuss games only after they are complete.
  3. Standard member MCA
    TokerSmurf
    17 Oct '06 19:23
    i have no knowledge of the game you made the move in, so cannot say for that particular game (nor would i - as already stated, games in progress should not be discussed). BUT ...

in general, sacrificing a knight to gain a rook is good play (depending on the position of course)
  4. 17 Oct '06 19:30
    This not discussing a game in progress stuff is shi**. Ok, not giving moves to them or talking about precise positions but im hardly going to avoid giving comments in say a thread about the french defence because a few of the players have games with that opening.

If you are refering to a Nxc2/c7 trick then picking up a rook that way often great.
  5. 17 Oct '06 20:47
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    This not discussing a game in progress stuff is shi**. Ok, not giving moves to them or talking about precise positions but im hardly going to avoid giving comments in say a thread about the french defence because a few of the players have games with that opening.

If you are refering to a Nxc2/c7 trick then picking up a rook that way often great.
    Agree.
  6. 17 Oct '06 20:51
    A rook is 5 points, and a knight is 3 points. It's like gaining two pawns.
  7. 17 Oct '06 20:55
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    A rook is 5 points, and a knight is 3 points. It's like gaining two pawns.
    That's a lie, point values change with every move. Point values are never dynamic (That's long term, right?)
  8. 17 Oct '06 20:59
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's a lie, point values change with every move. Point values are never dynamic (That's long term, right?)
    Well there's an exception to every rule. Generally you weould want to trade a knight for a rook.
  9. 17 Oct '06 22:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You have the words backwards, although the concept is right. Point values are dynamic (i.e., always changing) as opposed to static (constant).
  10. 18 Oct '06 00:28
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    You have the words backwards, although the concept is right. Point values are dynamic (i.e., always changing) as opposed to static (constant).
    Thanks, always mix up the static and dynamic stuff.
  11. 18 Oct '06 01:49
    It's not a sacrifice at all.
  12. 18 Oct '06 01:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    It's not a sacrifice at all.
    Oops, wrong thread.
  13. 18 Oct '06 14:32
    Originally posted by edunnum
    In the opening, is sacrificing a knight to take a rook a good move? I recently made the trade and am wondering if I am being tricked by a good player or if I took advantage of the mistake of a mediocre player.
    As in most positions a Rook is more valuable than a Knight this is not regarded as a sacrifice at all; in fact when one side gains a Rook for a minor piece (Bishop or a Knight) it is known as "Winning the Exchange", and in master or grandmaster games is often enough to ensure a win.