1. e4
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 02:561 edit
    Well the lad was in Time Trouble when he walked into the fork.

But I had the King roped off and was fully aware of the stalemate chances.
    I have won it quite a few times at blitz, never tried it v a computer though.
    May give it a bash, see if I can do it under 50 moves. It won't blunder like that.

It's certainly more frequent than mating with a Bishop and Knight and it's
    a lot harder.

Not sure if keeping the King and Rook together is the best way to defend.
    You can keep the Rook away provided it goes to a different colour square
    from the King and if the King is checked it goes to a different colour square
    from the Rook.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 03:051 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

May give it a bash, see if I can do it under 50 moves. It won't blunder like that.

It's certainly more frequent than mating with a B from the King and if the King is checked it goes to a different colour square
    from the Rook.
    Exactly, this is why the key to this endgame, like many others is to use a simpler tactic, the fork, as a way to force the lesser side into a zug where he has to enter into such an unfortunate situation as to allow his rook to be chopped off the board.

Its been a long time but I remember the key position has the king and rook in a single quadrant with the king in the corner. In said position the lesser side loses if he has the move and the path to victory isn't clear when the superior side moves, but there is a technique to create a symmetrical position in a way that loses a move causing the lesser side to have the move and be unable to hold the position.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 06:22
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

It's certainly more frequent than mating with a B ...[text shortened]... from the King and if the King is checked it goes to a different colour square
    from the Rook.
    I was just repeating what Al Horowitz said in his book. It does appear that it does make you think a little deeper in certain position if the rook runs away. However, I'm sure a master level player like Horowitz could calculate that easily enough. After all, I was able to do it, with difficulty I admit. In OTB play, one can not take back a move if it does not work, like I did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree