1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:15
    Originally posted by tapestry
    I think some people can be blatantly extremely rude intentionally. I've just been playing a few blitz games and four people have been rude and critical of my choice of opening, style of play and the fact that I don't resign in positions where counterplay is possible.
    I do find it irritating that people feel they can be insulting and hide behind the ano ...[text shortened]... t a life and then block contact with them. It is a pity that such idiots exist to play chess.
    More importantly, who have you been playing to be getting resignable positions against? There cant be that many on this site who should be able to beat you.
  2. Joined
    11 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 06:50
    Whiners get over it!
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 11:08
    Originally posted by pimpsandwich
    Whiners get over it!
    And winosπŸ™„
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 11:44
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    More importantly, who have you been playing to be getting resignable positions against? There cant be that many on this site who should be able to beat you.
    Not this site but FICS. I have found the players here to be very courteous.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:25
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I find if I really thrash somebody, of if they lose by making a horrible blunder I try and avoid saying good game because they know they messed up and I know I didnt really work for my win but had it gifted to me.
    Yeah - I don't like it when someone says good game after I played really horribly. In most cases, I'm pretty sure they mean well, but you know, I'm usually pretty upset at that moment and the thought often creeps in that they might be being sarcastic.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:27
    If your too stupid too take advice, and play on in totally lost games, that means your the idiot.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:29
    NEVER give up. I won a game two knights and two rooks down, so since then I generally don't resign. Except exceptions.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 13:44
    I think alot of people here and on other chess sites forget that this is international and not everyone understands english. If someone wrote Good Game or even the initials in French, German, Hindu or any other language I wouldn't have a clue what they were saying and wouldn't try to answer it because they wouldn't understand the response. Try using the good ole smiley face πŸ™‚ or something else.
  9. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 14:54
    i believe gg is from the English common phrase Great Going... later adopted by the Americans in the form of shortened internet speech.
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 15:18
    Originally posted by Kaworukun
    If your too stupid too take advice, and play on in totally lost games, that means your the idiot.
    There is a difference between a lost game OTB and a lost game in an internet blitz game. In an internet game time is a factor. If you've chosen to play a 2 minute game, you or your opponent are perfectly entitled to continue to play on and go for a win on time or make use of your opponents time trouble and try a cheapo. This would be pointless in an OTB game with a more substantial time control.

You would be foolish to take advice from an opponent who advises you to resign. They still need to prove the win.

I appreciate English may not be your first language but your insults would be more credible if they were grammatically correct.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 15:311 edit
    If an idiot like you played against me like that. We would be finished IRL. I would never play you again.
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 15:39
    Originally posted by Kaworukun
    If an idiot like you played against me like that. We would be finished IRL. I would never play you again.
    Interesting post by yourself in the Latvian thread in response to a post by Korch.

'You go on about spam my son, but calling someone an idiot is flaming.

So whats worse the spammer of flammer?'

I'd like to draw your attention to the message placed at the bottom of the screen where your make a post: 'Important : Posts on this board may be subject to moderation. Please refrain from spamming, flaming or using excessively offensive language on this board. '
  13. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 17:28
    Originally posted by Erekose
    Yeah - I don't like it when someone says good game after I played really horribly. In most cases, I'm pretty sure they mean well, but you know, I'm usually pretty upset at that moment and the thought often creeps in that they might be being sarcastic.
    Yes, same here. If it's not just a phrase (which it probably is in most cases), it implies something like "for a patzer like you, this wasn't bad" (unless the opponent really wasn't able to see how bad it was).
  14. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 17:30
    Originally posted by big bern
    i believe gg is from the English common phrase Great Going... later adopted by the Americans in the form of shortened internet speech.
    I was confused when I encountered it here for the first time because it is sometimes used for "big grin" in German internet speech.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 20:181 edit
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    I think alot of people here and on other chess sites forget that this is international and not everyone understands english. If someone wrote Good Game or even the initials in French, German, Hindu or any other language I wouldn't have a clue what they were saying and wouldn't try to answer it because they wouldn't understand the response. Try using the good ole smiley face πŸ™‚ or something else.
    Good point. I once told someone to "break a leg" and this was interpreted as a threat by someone unfamiliar with the idiom.

Unfortunately, the "good old smiley face" can be seen as smirking by an opponent who has just lost a game.

The acronym "gg" is as close to a universalism as one is likely to find in the chess world, but as you point out, it needn't be understood, for a variety of reasons.

I have solved this problem by means of the true universal language: mathematics. I begin with simple groupings of random symbols (it doesn't matter what, as long as I am consistent) and work through fundamental operations such as simple addition, using base ten. By the time a long game has finished my opponent and I are generally able to exhange simple concepts by means of number-theoretical equivalencies. It's much the same principle as the communication method used in ET the Extraterrestrial, only using numbers instead of sounds.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree