Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 25 Sep '07 15:45
    Are there any rules as to what must be done when a clock's batteries die during a game? Or is it completely up to the tournament director? What if the players differ as to how much time each of them had, or can't remember?
  2. 25 Sep '07 16:22
    I think what you would usually do is look at how much time is on the clocks on boards nearby (since clocks usually get started all at the same time) and then, if neither player can remember, just split the remaining time for the game between them.
  3. 25 Sep '07 16:58
    Originally posted by synesis
    Are there any rules as to what must be done when a clock's batteries die during a game? Or is it completely up to the tournament director? What if the players differ as to how much time each of them had, or can't remember?
    are there any rules if the opponent dies during a game? or is it completely up to the director?
  4. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    25 Sep '07 17:01
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    are there any rules if the opponent dies during a game? or is it completely up to the director?
    If your opponent dies during a game you will eventually be able to claim a win on time.
  5. 25 Sep '07 18:23
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If your opponent dies during a game you will eventually be able to claim a win on time.
    Even if you murdered him
  6. 25 Sep '07 19:17
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Even if you murdered him
    Murder is not specifically mentioned in the rule book but an arbiter may well determine that you purposely distracted your opponent and award them the point. Apparently there is quite a chess community among inmates at most prisons so it wouldn't be all bad....you'd probably have to quit the murdering though!
  7. 25 Sep '07 19:24
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Murder is not specifically mentioned in the rule book but an arbiter may well determine that you purposely distracted your opponent and award them the point. Apparently there is quite a chess community among inmates at most prisons so it wouldn't be all bad....you'd probably have to quit the murdering though!
    I think it might come under 'ungentlemanly conduct'
  8. 25 Sep '07 20:44
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If your opponent dies during a game you will eventually be able to claim a win on time.
    Surely you could claim that by dieing they has distracted you.
  9. 25 Sep '07 21:51
    Originally posted by synesis
    Are there any rules as to what must be done when a clock's batteries die during a game? Or is it completely up to the tournament director? What if the players differ as to how much time each of them had, or can't remember?
    The owner of the Clock has to count down out loud followed by the words one thousand each second.
    Or I'm sure he could call the official and ask for a time out to get another clock.
  10. Standard member niloc
    Squirrel Rancher
    26 Sep '07 00:32
    Actually, I think he has to start saying Tic-Toc, Tic-Toc. And if he gets lazy and just says Tic, Tic, you can slap him and tell him to that he must start Toc-ing!!!

    Ba-dump, dump
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Gonzalo de Córdoba
    26 Sep '07 22:06
    Originally posted by synesis
    Are there any rules as to what must be done when a clock's batteries die during a game? Or is it completely up to the tournament director? What if the players differ as to how much time each of them had, or can't remember?
    It seems to me that the clock or battery would be replaced once the TD is notified. If you don't notice your opponent's clock stop on his turn, that's your fault.
  12. 27 Sep '07 06:59
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    The owner of the Clock has to count down out loud followed by the words one thousand each second.
    Why saying 'thousand' between each tick-tock?

    Edit: Oh, I understand now, you are actually count milli-seconds...?
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Gonzalo de Córdoba
    27 Sep '07 07:31
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why saying 'thousand' between each tick-tock?

    Edit: Oh, I understand now, you are actually count milli-seconds...?
    Saying 'thousand' ensures that the numbers aren't counted off too fast.
  14. 28 Sep '07 04:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why saying 'thousand' between each tick-tock?

    Edit: Oh, I understand now, you are actually count milli-seconds...?
    Must be an American thing--when kids are counting seconds (e.g. when playing hide and seek), they usually count "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand..." (or the other way around) Saying "one thousand" in the middle keeps you from counting too fast.

    Another way is to count "one Mississippi, two Mississippi," etc.
  15. 28 Sep '07 09:58
    Apparently counting out loud: "One e four, two e6, three d4, Four d5....is the French method