1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:08
    What if one was to use a database that has it's games annotated on by an engine? The moves made were human, but an engine comments on the game (possibly suggesting other lines).

I assume this is against the rules.. am I right?
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:171 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    What if one was to use a database that has it's games annotated on by an engine? The moves made were human, but an engine comments on the game (possibly suggesting other lines).

I think I asked a question like this before. I asked if a line was played in one game, then annotated by an engine, then saved in a personal database, and then that line is played in another game and the engine's preferred line is chosen, then what is the verdict? I don't remember getting a clear answer either.

I'm basing this off your use of the term "database." Otherwise the statement "the moves were human but an engine comments on the game" seems a bit strange and suggests that the engine's best lines were chosen, which would be yes, illegal. Otherwise, it would be like saying (for example) 23. Nc4 (23. ...Bxc4 -+ -Fritz 9) and then black plays 23. ...Kh8, or anything that isn't Bxc4.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:21

If you think it's against the rules, it is against the rules.
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:21
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    If you think it's against the rules, it [b]is against the rules.[/b]
    I think that my opponents not resigning within 5 moves is against the rules!

Time to report everyone I've ever played 😛
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:25
    Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is taking all my games, putting them into my database, and leaving fritzy on for a couple days (I'm assuming fritz can do this) to analyze the games I've played. I've used the full analysis feature before and I know that fritz suggests better lines and makes other comments (including stuff like ??, !, 'white is better', etc.) .. I would put stuff like that into the database as well. Is that illegal?
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:38
    Basically, what I'm thinking of doing is taking all my games, putting them into my database, and leaving fritzy on for a couple days (I'm assuming fritz can do this) to analyze the games I've played. I've used the full analysis feature before and I know that fritz suggests better lines and makes other comments (including stuff like ??, !, 'white is better', etc.) .. I would put stuff like that into the database as well. Is that illegal?
    Personally, the only thing illegal that I find about that is that is burns a lot of electricity. But full analysis does kick ass and wouldn't it just be like paying a titled player to annotate your game? The main problem that I could think of is what if (in some rare case) that exact line that Fritz suggested turns up in an RHP game, you play it, then get reported for engine abuse. That would really suck...
  7. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:47
    Prior analysis is allowed in all cc I believe. Analysis of current positions is disallowed in most cc with ICCF(FIDE) being the notable exception:

http://www.iccf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445

I'm in three tournaments on ICCF and honestly don't know if I'm playing against cyborgs or not. I do know that I haven't seen any outright blunders except one (thankfully not mine!!).
  8. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 02:55
    Most of the new chess books have their line analyzed by computers as well, so I would guess that what you are asking would be OK. Just my opinion of course 🙂
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 03:07
    Another thing you can try is to play the game without any help. It's an original concept I know but a win feels soo much better when you do it on your own with no help.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 03:57

You message has been register and will be replied within 1 week.

Unless of course, one of these "courtesy helpful people" on here get to it first.

I can help you right now but I'm testing out something new.

1 help day a week and the other 6 days, hit and run.

RK
  11. London
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 05:10

Not really because the annotated game is fixed and the engine used to annotate the original game is not analysing and suggesting moves against your opponents play. If the moves are identical by coincidence - then you're just following a line in a book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree