1. Joined
    03 Dec '07
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 17:32
    Book recommendation: "Russians versus Fischer" by Dmitry Plisetsky
    and Sergey Voronkov(Everyman Chess-Hardback). I own a copy(different publisher), an excellent book. Secret Soviet documents
    uncovered by authors on 'Fischer problem'. Leading Soviet GM analyses of Fischer's style, personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
    All 158 games tween Fischer and Soviets. Photos and drawings.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 11:56
    This post deserves more interest. The book sounds intriguing.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:00
    Is it in English ?
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:40
    Synopsis
    This magnificent volume contains the extraordinary story of the prolonged battle between Bobby Fischer, the lone American genius who is perhaps the most famous chess player of all time, and the long-standing and all-dominating Soviet chess machine. For the first time readers will be able to view virtually all the secret documents on 'the Fischer problem', many of which have never previously been published. These include papers from the archives of the KGB, the Communist Party Central Committee, the USSR Sports Committee and the Chess Federation. Together with this, there are reports and analysis of Fischer's personality and play, written at the demand of the Soviet authorities by the country's leading Grandmasters, legends such as Mikhail Tal, Tigran Petrosian, Vassily Smyslov, Paul Keres, Victor Korchnoi and Efim Geller. Also contained in "Russians Versus Fischer" are annotations and the stories on all of the 158 chess encounters between Fischer and his Soviet adversaries, and a large number of rare photographs and drawings. This book is a significantly enlarged and updated version of the one first published in Russia in 1994.

And yes, this version is in English 🙂
  5. Fågelsången
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 12:59
    Sounds very intresting!
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 13:12
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    This post deserves more interest. The book sounds intriguing.
    I second the recommendation. It's a fascinating book.
  7. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 16:10
    Originally posted by DMD
    and Sergey Voronkov(Everyman Chess-Hardback). I own a copy(different publisher), an excellent book. Secret Soviet documents
    uncovered by authors on 'Fischer problem'. Leading Soviet GM analyses of Fischer's style, personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
    I totally agree with you.
    Other (similar) great reads are:

"The reliable past "
    "Russian silhouettes"

Both are written by Gennna Sosonko.
    I think you will enjoy those heavily if you likes " Russians vs Fischer.
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by DMD
    Looks quite impressive. Here is a link to a long excerpt as well as other information:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1857443802/ref=sib_fs_top/002-2135117-4924001?ie=UTF8&p=S00H&checkSum=BfJRtoC3Q9EwzCie52WTfYyemAkKOVeurTyx6JJaGQ4%3D#reader-link

Just a bit of trivia: but who knew that Fischer had once been a Seventh Day Adventist?
  9. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 22:15
    *farts*

----runs off giggling----
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 22:17
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    *farts*

----runs off giggling----
    😞
  11. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 16:31
    If he was considered such a threat by the Soviet government, why didn't they "take him out" instead of analyzing him ad infinitum? Or they thought they could benefit by him taking chess one step further thus benefiting themselves in the long run when a newer breed of Soviet grandmasters come along; by the time Fischer's phases out nobody from the West could stand up to them?
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 17:28
    Originally posted by searchingforkolisch
    If he was considered such a threat by the Soviet government, why didn't they "take him out" instead of analyzing him ad infinitum? Or they thought they could benefit by him taking chess one step further thus benefiting themselves in the long run when a newer breed of Soviet grandmasters come along; by the time Fischer's phases out nobody from the West could stand up to them?
    Presumably for the same reason(s) they didn't "kneecap" top Western athletes contending for olympic medals.
  13. London
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:28
    Originally posted by searchingforkolisch
    Maybe they were going to slip something in his drink to make him do doolally then realised there was no need.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree