1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 17:07
    Is this the highest band yet created on RHP? It has a max entrant cap of 32 players, it wasn't that long ago that we didn't have 32 players over 2150. How times change...
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 05:46
    Each year, millions of people (usually children) learn to play chess, adding to the number of chess players in the world. Those kids grow up, continue to play alongside the older crowd, while millions more kids learn the game. The process repeats, until there's a crazy amount of chess players.

So the number of higher-ranked people go up as a result.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 08:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    Each year, millions of people (usually children) learn to play chess, adding to the number of chess players in the world. Those kids grow up, continue to play alongside the older crowd, while millions more kids learn the game. The process repeats, until there's a crazy amount of chess players.

So the number of higher-ranked people go up as a result.
    I baulk at the power of your Logic Mr.V. I do question how closely Admin pay attention to the statistics for creating banded tournaments though. It's strange to try this sort of band in a thematic tournament though don't you think? Did someone ask for it??
  4. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 11:53
    The odd thing about this specific tourney is that, OTB, the Marshall is still great fun at the amateur/sub-elite level. But at the elite GM level, it's practically analysed out to a draw.

And since these 2150+ RHP players will be assisted by the usual databases (& by whatever additional 'assistance' some choose to use), they will likely plod their way remorselessly to draws. Fun? Not for me
  5. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 12:01
    i want to be as jaded as atticus is about chess
  6. e4
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:42
    Replace 'jaded' with 'practical.'

There have been more books and and articles written on the
    Marshall Gambit than there have been about Frank Marshall.

The 2150+ guys will be backed up with a ton of theory and if they
    are all using the same DB then the real thinking will done around
    about move 32.

The fun as Atticus suggests will be in Tournament 15790 where 25
    1300-1399 players have already entered.

I wonder if we will see more of:

chessdev - percival86 RHP 2004
    ausra - Macroman RHP 2009
    Ashish Acharya - Elite CG RHP 2010
    blither - Wiabj RHP 2010

Have four all gone this way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree