1. Joined
    03 Apr '09
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 22:55
    What's everyone's thoughts on this? Best variation for white? For black?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 03:26
    I play the Ruy. Is there a "best variation"? I don't know.
  3. Maryland, US
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 19:071 edit
    If anybody does I'd love to hear it. Seriously though based on how the question is worded I'd have to say it's unanswerable.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 19:51
    Originally posted by JDChess
    If anybody does I'd love to hear it. Seriously though based on how the question is worded I'd have to say it's unanswerable.
    yes its unanswerable because after 3.Bb5 black has the choice, morphy, closed, open, steintiz, steinitz deferred, schlieman, berlin, blah de blah. I think a better question might be, what do we feel comfortable with.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 19:581 edit
    My recommendation is to identify a GM who plays the Ruy, and whose style you appreciate and enjoy, and see what they play. I've found that studying a favorite GM's approach to a particular opening is an easy and enjoyable introduction to any opening. You will see a pattern and consistency in their play, and if you play through the games in chronological order, you will learn from their mistakes and see how their approach varied and grew over time.

By studying complete games, you will also begin to recognize the types of middlegame tactics common to the opening in question (sometimes in the notes in GM games), and you will also see the most common and standard types of endgames that result from that particular opening.

Paul
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:05
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    My recommendation is to identify a GM who plays the Ruy, and whose style you appreciate and enjoy, and see what they play. I've found that studying a favorite GM's approach to a particular opening is an easy and enjoyable introduction to any opening. You will see a pattern and consistency in their play, and if you play through the games in chronologic ...[text shortened]... e most common and standard types of endgames that result from that particular opening.

Paul
    this is an excellent suggestion, for what one does is see the historical development of a system and can understand why moves are made and why others are rejected.. i myself have been utterly enthralled with the Najdorf, seeing the early attempts of the Argentinians and Najdorf himself, refuted by the Russians, brought back to life by Fischer etc etc.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is an excellent suggestion, for what one does is see the historical development of a system and can understand why moves are made and why others are rejected.. i myself have been utterly enthralled with the Najdorf, seeing the early attempts of the Argentinians and Najdorf himself, refuted by the Russians, brought back to life by Fischer etc etc.
    Agreed.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 23:13
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Agreed.
    oh great and illustrious trout fly, we agree at last! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree