1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 17:56
    Originally posted by Darax The Good
    A computer program does the testing rather than a person.

Edit: if Rybka's big addition is automated testing, then it is highly likely than he trains Rybka against other engines. This is more of a machine learning process than automated testing. If my assumption is correct, then Rybka is going to end up looking to play like the engines it is trai ...[text shortened]... I mean look,it has links and you can buy stuff, clearly you've stolen the code from amazon.
    hahhahhah, priceless! now we have a guy defending the guy who cheated on computer chess! you can't make stuff like this up!!! 😀DD
  2. Bucharest
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 18:35
    It would be interesting to know if rybka took actual code or just it's logic re-coded (the evidence is that it took actual logic and details not just ideas). If they copy/pasted some of the code and modified it for rybka, the program is a derivate of those 2 open source programs. Both licenses require that any derivate program has to make the sources available. Fruit and crafty authors could sue rybka and get the sources public and available for anyone to modify.
    Fruit license is GPL 2. You are mostly free to do what you like but it requires that any derivate code is free to read, modify and distribute.
    Crafty license is more restrictive and does not allow derivates to enter chess tournaments or have a name of their own. Crafty is open source but not free.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 23:47
    Hmm, I wonder if Chessbase News or the USCF will be publishing similar reports.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 14:40
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hmm, I wonder if Chessbase News or the USCF will be publishing similar reports.
    The USCF is sending someone to dig up Bobby Fischer. A shovel ready project indeed.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 17:39
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    The USCF is sending someone to dig up Bobby Fischer. A shovel ready project indeed.
    Nah, the guys running the USCF would argue over what kind of shovel to use. They'd sue each other over it, and it would be tied up in the courts forever. The job would never get done.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 13:27
    I assume they found large numbers of situations where Rybka is making the same bad moves as Fruit, and/or Crafty.

Rather than simply pointing out that they have the same good moves, the same bad moves would be a very big red flag.
  7. e4
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 15:16
    Apparently there is some code in Crafty that does nothing.
    It just sits there and is totally random.

(perhaps planted as an anti-plagiarism device)

This same code had been found in Rybka. The only explantion
    is that the code was copied from Crafty.

It's an old stunt to catch plagiarism.
    You put in a deliberate error and if it crops again in the stolen piece
    then there is your proof. (I do it all the time with the RHP blog) 😉
  8. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:08
    This makes perfect sense: At the cheating championship the best cheater has been disqualified for cheating.
  9. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:28
    They shrank down Kasparov and cloned him and then hid them inside the gubbins. An old trick but a good one.

Apparently a sneeze is what got them found out.

If you ever doubt your own software, a little pepper is often all you need to diagnose it.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:32
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Apparently there is some code in Crafty that does nothing.
    It just sits there and is totally random.

(perhaps planted as an anti-plagiarism device)

This same code had been found in Rybka. The only explantion
    is that the code was copied from Crafty.

It's an old stunt to catch plagiarism.
    You put in a deliberate error and if it crops again in the stolen piece
    then there is your proof. (I do it all the time with the RHP blog) 😉
    That's a nice conspiracy theory, but not really true. Bob Hyatt has explained the reasons why the obsolete code was left in Crafty, and it had nothing to do with trying to trap plagiarists. (Basically just mistakes in leaving in old, obsolete code.)

By the way, the alleged code copying from Crafty wasn't used as direct proof of VR breaking ICGA rules, since the version of Rybka that allegedly copied Crafty code was not used in any ICGA tournaments. It was simply mentioned to establish a pattern of behavior. What caused the ban ruling was the alleged copying of Fruit code.
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:48
    Originally posted by Daobobo
    I assume they found large numbers of situations where Rybka is making the same bad moves as Fruit, and/or Crafty.

Rather than simply pointing out that they have the same good moves, the same bad moves would be a very big red flag.
    If anyone noticed similarities in good or bad moves between the programs, I can't remember reading about it. As far as I know, it's always been about the similarity of code. I think what elevated suspicions was when Strelka came out. Some people, I think including VR, thought Strelka was an illegal clone of Rybka. Then someone started comparing the disassembled code of Strelka with Fruit code, and then the alleged similarities were noticed. And it just snowballed from there.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:57
    Oh, and to clarify one point by the OP - The ICGA ruling does not accuse Rybka of being a clone. The ruling accused Rybka of being a derivative program of Fruit, which would violate ICGA rules.
  13. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 17:15
    Rybka merely taking one of its five a day.
  14. e4
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 09:33
    Hi Mad Rook.

It is a nice conspiracy theory, let's keep it going.

I picked up that gem from the Rybka forum and twisted it a bit.

Although companies do use it to trap plagiarists.
    Map makers are the prime example where they put in false
    rivers or even made up towns.
    Programmers started using this method and it gave birth to 'Easter Eggs'.

Hey Greenerpawn I think you are right.

Instead of using pepper I left one of these Mephisto computers
    in a bucket of water overnight and now it does not work.

I think I've drowned my wee shrunken down GM. Where can I get another?
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 16:341 edit
    Still nothing from Chessbase News. Maybe they're taking extra time to do some really in-depth, hardcore reporting. Or maybe they just haven't caught wind of the story yet. 😉

Anyway, it's now hitting the mainstream press - The Washington Times, the New York Times, and Fox News, along with some smaller news outlets.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree