1. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 14:05
    Sam Collins is one of my favorite chessbook writers.
    I kind of liked his books previous books An Attacking Repertoire for White and Chess explained; the c3 sicilian.
    Therefore I very much looked forward to the follow up to the white repetoire book;
    "An attacking repetoire for black".
    Now it seems like the publisher have dicided not to publish any such book. Anyone who knows what's happened?
  2. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 14:40
    By the way...
    Really look forward to this book: Kasparov-the attackers advantadge.
    I probably will not bye it but it sure seems interesting.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143058428/?tag=smarterbooks-20&creative=380337&creativeASIN=0143058428&linkCode=asn
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 19:39
    Let me guess…it has something to do with money. Maybe they didn’t sell?
  4. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 21:143 edits
    I don't know. Maybe the autor and the publisher didn't get along? Until resently you could see find the advertise cover for "an attacking repetoire for black" as "a book soon to be published" at amazon.com but not anymore. You cold ever preorder a copy.
    This is a pity since the "attacking repetoire for white" book is one of the few chessbooks I've read from cover to cover!
    (Now I play 1.d4 instead so I don't use the book anymore since it recomends 1.e4) I liked the book because the games was very carfully selected and because the autor gave very good insights in the various lines, especially the c3 sicilian and the scotsh game.

I really don't see any reason for not making a follow up. Maybe the book took longer to write than the autor expected or he got delayed with some other writing plans first. I strongly suspect he might get more money from other publishers since he has published books for other publishers aside from Batsford. Mabe his contract with batsford was bad. Or something else, I dont know anything.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 01:47
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    I don't know. Maybe the autor and the publisher didn't get along? Until resently you could see find the advertise cover for "an attacking repetoire for black" as "a book soon to be published" at amazon.com but not anymore. You cold ever preorder a copy.
    This is a pity since the "attacking repetoire for white" book is one of the few chessbooks I've rea ...[text shortened]... rd. Mabe his contract with batsford was bad. Or something else, I dont know anything.
    I recently purchased and have been reading "An Attacking Repertoire for White." It is an excellent book, IMO.

My next opening book purchase will probably be "Gambiteer II" by GM Nigel Davies. (I already own "Gambiteer I", which is excellent.)

Gambiteer I is a repertoire book for White based on gambits. (I guess everybody already figured that out by the title of the book.)

Gambiteer II is a repertoire book for Black, recommending the Albin Counter Gambit (1 d4 d5 2 c4 e5) and the Schliemann Gambit (which I think is 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 f5).
  6. London
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 10:30
    This is a pity since the "attacking repetoire for white" book is one of the few chessbooks I've rea ...[text shortened]... rd. Mabe his contract with batsford was bad. Or something else, I dont know anything.
    Publishers sometimes hold books back for reasons we might not be able to fathom. This is the seciond instance of a book being written, advertised then having a release delayed...the other was Competition Survival Guiude by John Emms....held back for over a year.

Could be there is a similar book just released or they want to wait until next (insert month) when they think books like this sell well...or any such mystery.

There would be no halm in emailing the publishers to find out more...I agree with you about Sam Collins being a good author.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 12:16
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Schliemann Gambit...1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 f5...
    I talked to an IM at a chess camp one summer about this opening, which I had seen sometime recently in a blitz game. Apparently, it is extraordinarily complex. In my opinion, the scale of the complexity in many ways paralleled the Dragon. However, this was of course assuming perfect play on both sides; I highly doubt white will know how to respond nine times out of ten.
  8. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 12:561 edit
    Since the discussion seems to have altered...
    I have a game in the albin contergambit i some of you might want to se (the albin is suggested in "gambiteer II" ).
    Game 3317841
    Before this game i can honostly say I didn't think high about the albin-gambit.
    The game followed one of the main lines but black decided to take the pawn offered on move ten. According to theory this is hardly ever played (eg. there is never good to open lines in front of your own king when opponents have castled on different sides. Seems that I became over confident and lost accordingly.
    Speaking about other matters. What repetoire does the book "Gambiteer I" give?
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '07 01:41
    Since the discussion seems to have altered...
    I have a game in the albin contergambit i some of you might want to se (the albin is suggested in "gambiteer II" ).
    Game 3317841
    Before this game i can honostly say I didn't think high about the albin-gambit.
    The game followed one of the main lines but black decided to take the pawn offered on mov ...[text shortened]... cordingly.
    Speaking about other matters. What repetoire does the book "Gambiteer I" give?
    Gambiteer I Openings:

1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 c3 dc 4 Nc3 (Danish Gambit)

1 e4 c5 2 b4 (Wing Gambit)

1 e4 e6 2 Nf3 d5 3 e5 c5 4 b4 (Another Wing Gambit)

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 f3 (Fantasy Variation)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree