Sandbagging in Tournies

Sandbagging in Tournies

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
06 Jan 12
1 edit

@ USAP-for what its worth, I always check out my opponents profile if I am unfamiliar with them.
Also, you can do a quick scan of their current "public games" and see their openings (do they prefer open or closed games) style of play, is their end game strong or weak,etc,etc.
It will help out some. You still gotta play well though. At the very least you will feel a little prepared.

U

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Para guy.

That is quite a dramtic tumble. User 253523
His profile does state he was 1980 at one time.

A real sandbagger usually throws a few games (have these guys no ego?) to
stay below a certain grade. eg just enough to hover under say 1600.

This plunge is too obvious. It could have been for any reason:
An illness, A holiday in Chi ...[text shortened]... er cannot enter a tournament if the highest grade they
have achieved on here does not allow it.
Green, you have to read on in the OP. His explanation was:

"Actually my rating much bigger, I resigned in all my games, I was thinking I can't play any more good chess, it was an accident but it is turn out I am still can,"

U

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by utherpendragon
@ USAP-for what its worth, I always check out my opponents profile if I am unfamiliar with them.
Also, you can do a quick scan of their current "public games" and see their openings (do they prefer open or closed games) style of play, is their end game strong or weak,etc,etc.
It will help out some. You still gotta play well though. At the very least you will feel a little prepared.
It was a tournament game, so I had no choice but to play it (and another against the same guy).

Hy-Brasil

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
It was a tournament game, so I had no choice but to play it (and another against the same guy).
I know it was. I looked at them. He only had a slight advantage in both games when you resigned.

Even though you did not chose the opponent, you should still familiarize your self with them before you make your first move. Fortunately, in the CC world we have that luxury.
I find it helps me , it may help you too.

U

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by utherpendragon
I know it was. I looked at them. He only had a slight advantage in both games when you resigned.

Even though you did not chose the opponent, you should still familiarize your self with them before you make your first move. Fortunately, in the CC world we have that luxury.
I find it helps me , it may help you too.
I resigned out of principle. I'm just simply not going to play someone who lacks integrity.

I agree that reviewing their previous games would help, but I prefer to be surprised and just play the moves as they they make them. If I was playing in a real tournament and had the opportunity to see their previous games, then I would likely do so.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
06 Jan 12

I'm playing this guy at the moment.

I don't think these guys do it to win tourns. Real life can get in the way sometimes. I myself have just come back from a break when it would of been hard to keep up my games.

Its just so easy on here to keep starting new games, then later on realising it will take months(or years) to finish them.

U

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by hedonist
I'm playing this guy at the moment.

I don't think these guys do it to win tourns. Real life can get in the way sometimes. I myself have just come back from a break when it would of been hard to keep up my games.

Its just so easy on here to keep starting new games, then later on realising it will take months(or years) to finish them.
I'm not harping on you, but many people don't seem to be reading the OP.

He said, "Actually my rating much bigger, I resigned in all my games, I was thinking I can't play any more good chess, it was an accident but it is turn out I am still can,"

He also made a choice to enter a 1575 and under tournament.

st johnstone

Moves
06 Jan 12

Green, you have to read on in the OP. His explanation was:

"Actually my rating much bigger, I resigned in all my games, I was thinking I can't play any more good chess, it was an accident but it is turn out I am still can,"
i am playing him in a below 1350 tournament, ffs, 😠

U

Moves
06 Jan 12

Originally posted by roma45
i am playing him in a below 1350 tournament, ffs, 😠
Wow. Are you going to play them out? Good luck against a 1900+ player. I would just leave him a message giving him the finger and resign.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
07 Jan 12

the players tourn RATING was 1870.

god knows how it works, but does it not stop him from entering tourns below that grade?

st johnstone

Moves
07 Jan 12

Wow. Are you going to play them out? Good luck against a 1900+ player. I would just leave him a message giving him the finger and resign.
i am going to drag it out, already made 3 moves before i noticed, a 2 year game coming up, he can wait if he wants a lowbie tournament win. 🙂

Moves
07 Jan 12

Originally posted by roma45
i am going to drag it out, already made 3 moves before i noticed, a 2 year game coming up, he can wait if he wants a lowbie tournament win. 🙂
We should have an "applause" smiley.

t

Moves
07 Jan 12

Originally posted by Kegge
We should have an "applause" smiley.
Ooh yeah... I can already see the sarcastic possibilities of an applause smiley.

Moves
07 Jan 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
Ooh yeah... I can already see the sarcastic possibilities of an applause smiley.
More reason to have one.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
07 Jan 12

He also made a choice to enter a 1575 and under tournament.
Now that should not be possible. His tourn entry level is 1870.

Even I could not enter said tourn.