1. Standard memberBrianaC
    ChessGirl
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 00:06
    Three of my top 5 are going to be participating on the schools robotics team starting Jan and going to April. We have several matchs and tournaments during that period. I am trying to find a fair and equitable way to handle filling the spots..I could just move everyone up on the clubs ladder to fill the spots..The top five represent the school on the chess team. But then what happens when the other stronger players come back. It wouldnt be fair to just bump the other kids out and give them their spots back. But I would hate to put them on the bottom of the ladder to re-earn their spots either, the school year would be over by the time they got back on top...suggestions?
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '15
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 09:35
    When the 3 players can return to chess tournaments, have them play the ones that have replaced them in the classroom, winners go on to the next tournament. Nothing wrong with a good competition and you can see who is playing best at that particular time.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 21:061 edit
    You need a system for fairly deciding ladder reinclusion. I'd go a little further than Yesterdaze, to make it fair you should get all the affected players (in other words the roboticists, the new team, and maybe a couple of others) to play a mini-tournament (that's Swiss, not round robin!) to decide where in the ladder the roboticists should be placed. Talk to the kids and see what they think is fair. As an aside though, if there are enough players you should be fielding a B team as well.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 03:381 edit
    Originally posted by BrianaC
    Three of my top 5 are going to be participating on the schools robotics team starting Jan and going to April. We have several matchs and tournaments during that period. I am trying to find a fair and equitable way to handle filling the spots..I could just move everyone up on the clubs ladder to fill the spots..The top five represent the school on the chess t ...[text shortened]... heir spots either, the school year would be over by the time they got back on top...suggestions?
    Hi, congratulations on the Masters BTW, a lot of work! And probably a huge student loan bill. (My daughter also has an Ma, and is stuck with an $85,000 loan) You are going to be missing the top kids for several months, and there is nothing you can do about that so for that time period it sounds like you are going to have to adjust the ladder. Are those kids absolutely the only ones who play chess? Maybe there is a potential expert lurking about taking art or something🙂 (Not against art, I think art is a vital part of humanity) I write music myself, my wife and I play folk music.
  5. e4
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 11:26
    Get the parents more involved with the decision.. I doubt if the kids
    will really mind how you work it but a parent might.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 23:59
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Get the parents more involved with the decision.. I doubt if the kids
    will really mind how you work it but a parent might.
    Funny, that should have been apparent immediately🙂
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 01:24
    Screw parents.

Have your own entry tournament to fill the spots. If parents want to complain, ask them what they think will happen in the tournament?

My kid should have made it past the first round! Yeah, well your kid really didn't deserve to be there to begin with. Go team.
  8. Standard memberBrianaC
    ChessGirl
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 21:49
    Originally posted by BrianaC
    Three of my top 5 are going to be participating on the schools robotics team starting Jan and going to April. We have several matchs and tournaments during that period. I am trying to find a fair and equitable way to handle filling the spots..I could just move everyone up on the clubs ladder to fill the spots..The top five represent the school on the chess t ...[text shortened]... heir spots either, the school year would be over by the time they got back on top...suggestions?
    Hey everbody, thanks for your input...It will give me something to think about during Christmas break..Now back to my hot chocolate in front of the Christmas tree..
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '15 08:30
    Kids have an innate sense of fairness and justice. Talk to them and leave them to decide on the way forward (retain a veto, in case their idea is too wacky or complicated). I am often surprised at the innovative (and fair) solutions that children will come up with - perhaps even ways on how to change the team selection in the future.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree