1. Joined
    09 Sep '03
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 20:05
    After analyzing a few of my recent games, I notice that I set up pins early in the game, then don't make the appropriate move 5 or 10 moves later because I fail tot notice the pinned piece. Either I fail to move to an attacking square, thinking it is defended by a pinned piece, or I release a pin accidentally.

Any tips, or do I just need to add "look for pins!" to my mental checklist?

cevans
  2. Joined
    19 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 20:46
    On this same note, how important are pins to watch out for, and how crucial are they to set? I'm never sure how many precautions I should take to avoid an annoying pin that doesn't lose material right away, or how much attention I devote to setting them. The most annoying pins, I've found, are ones where I've castled kingside and my knight on f3 is pinned to my queen, and I can't move my queen to d3 to get out of the pin and also save the kingside pawn structure.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 20:52
    Originally posted by cevans
    After analyzing a few of my recent games, I notice that I set up pins early in the game, then don't make the appropriate move 5 or 10 moves later because I fail tot notice the pinned piece. Either I fail to move to an attacking square, thinking it is defended by a pinned piece, or I release a pin accidentally.

Any tips, or do I just need to add "look for pins!" to my mental checklist?

cevans
    On this site, you could use the notebook to write down your plans. But adding "look for pins!" to your mental checklist is a good idea anyway.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 21:58
    Study tactics. Some pins can ruin you game and force you to lose.

Have a look at the game I posted in the Chess thread under, Rahim's Chess Lessons. Notice the pin on the bishop at the end of that game.
  5. Joined
    09 Sep '03
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 22:02
    Originally posted by vmc303
    On this same note, how important are pins to watch out for, and how crucial are they to set? I'm never sure how many precautions I should take to avoid an annoying pin that doesn't lose material right away, or how much attention I devote to setting them. The most annoying pins, I've found, are ones where I've castled kingside and my knight on f3 is pinned to ...[text shortened]... can't move my queen to d3 to get out of the pin and also save the kingside pawn structure.
    I'm starting to use them more, and find them to be subtle, but crucial, at my level. You can effectively immobilize a piece, taking it out of the game. A square that looks defended really isn't. At my level, they can be pretty powerful, if I could learn to use them effectively.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 22:16
    Wow, that is lots of moves.

If something is pinned, attack it over and over again till he can't defend it anymore.

If something is pinned, try to attack the thing the pinned piece is defending.

But remember, pins can be broken.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 00:37
    Do what I do.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 01:32
    getting pinned is like being a boxer and letting the other guy tie one of your hands behind your back. use your both hands.
  9. Earth Prime
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 03:20
    I'm always afraid someone will see my PIN at the ATM, and remember it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree