1. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:051 edit
    But, my opponent defended the endgame quite well. Does anyone see a point where I could have won? Also, I felt like the exchange sac was the best practical chance to win. Do you see anything better than the exchange sac(seemed like to much comp if I keep the rook and bishops on the board)?

Ha ha and here is the pgn

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2010.09.01"]
    [EndDate "2010.12.14"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "erikido"]
    [Black "dhanupu"]
    [WhiteRating "1593"]
    [BlackRating "1804"]
    [WhiteELO "1593"]
    [BlackELO "1804"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [GameId "7730490"]

2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:064 edits
    Originally posted by erikido
    But, my opponent defended the endgame quite well. Does anyone see a point where I could have won? Also, I felt like the exchange sac was the best practical chance to win. Do you see anything better than the exchange sac(seemed like to much comp if I keep the rook and bishops on the board)?
    oh nvm. lol

I don't really get 31.f4 why not just 31.Rb6?

52.Kxg3?

and 55.b7? its like you just gave up there Idk if there is anything better but that is an obvious draw.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:14
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    oh nvm. lol

and 55.b7? its like you just gave up there Idk if there is anything better but that is an obvious draw.
    and after r-d7 it seems pretty hard to make progress. I saw the position winning the pawn with 31 f4 and felt it was good enough
  4. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:21
    and 52 kxg3 was the only chance at a win if you play bishop up to c5 then the rook doesn't take...But K-d5! and black holds. Kxg3 sets a trap because after checking with r-g8+then k-g3! and if king takes the opposition("threatening bishop and mate"😉and b6! a pawn will be queening

Once the king came to b6 I had to queen the pawn or it would be rook against bishop(probably still drawn but why give them the chance of winning?)
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:21
    and after r-d7 it seems pretty hard to make progress. I saw the position winning the pawn with 31 f4 and felt it was good enough
    you could create a passed pawn easy enough after 31...Rd7.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:24
    and 52 kxg3 was the only chance at a win if you play bishop up to c5 then the rook doesn't take...But K-d5! and black holds. Kxg3 sets a trap because after checking with r-g8+then k-g3! and if king takes the opposition("threatening bishop and mate"😉and b6! a pawn will be queening

Once the king came to b6 I had to queen the pawn or it would be rook against bishop(probably still drawn but why give them the chance of winning?)
    Just because it sets a trap doesn't mean its the only chance at a win. You're king ended up stuck on the edge it wouldn't have if you take with the bishop.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 02:46
    13. Bd5
    But what do I know? 🙁
  8. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 20:41
    Just because it sets a trap doesn't mean its the only chance at a win. You're king ended up stuck on the edge it wouldn't have if you take with the bishop.
    after bxg3 and r-g8 both pawns fall(sacking the rook for the second pawn.)
  9. Joined
    12 May '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 21:26

52.Kxg3?

I agree with tomtom here.

Instead of 52.Kxg3, 52.b6 looks very strong. Why keep the bishop if you can have a queen instead?
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '10 21:34
    after bxg3 and r-g8 both pawns fall(sacking the rook for the second pawn.)
    not the only move left.
  11. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 03:351 edit
    I looked at b6. If the king doesn't take the pawn then black allows white to queen and creates a mating net. If he does take the pawn then k-d5 and if the pawn attacks the rook the king protects the rook and the pawn has to take rook and king takes rook and is in the square of the a pawn. I am doing this in my head at the moment. So sorry if it doesn't make sense.

I think the mating net goes like this 1.b6, gxf2 2. b7 r-f8 3.k-f1, k-e3! 4 a7, r-g7 and white is losing. Am I miscalculating?

Looking at it again I think I mixed up lines. Obviously the king can't protect the rook. I need to have a board with me to figure this one out. You guys seem to be assuming the pawns queen without checking the threats against the white king(maybe you did, but from your posts it doesn't seem that way).
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 05:19
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    13. Bd5
    But what do I know? 🙁
    I definitely strongly considered that as well. There were a couple reasons I didn't do that. I wanted to keep an eye on the g4 square just in case (I was looking to go into the endgame with dark squared bishops very early on.) I also think I may have seen a ghost of h6(which I could of course capture) and I even thought of possibly an h4 h5 softening up the king(unlikely I would actually do that. but if black plays poorly it is an option or maybe in the endgame it might be beneficial)
  13. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 16:14
    Ah, I got back to a board...Much simpler than it seems. Your proposed "queening" move simply loses by force. 1. b6, gxf2 2. kxf2(otherwise the mating netwith k-e3), k-d5 and the pawns are caught
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 21:57
    Ah, I got back to a board...Much simpler than it seems. Your proposed "queening" move simply loses by force. 1. b6, gxf2 2. kxf2(otherwise the mating netwith k-e3), k-d5 and the pawns are caught
    ok 52.b6 gxf2 53.b7 Ke3? what do you mean "mating net?"
  15. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '10 00:031 edit
    I looked at b6. If the king doesn't take the pawn then black allows white to queen and creates a mating net. If he does take the pawn then k-d5 and if the pawn attacks the rook the king protects the rook and the pawn has to take rook and king takes rook and is in the square of the a pawn. I am doing this in my head at the moment. So sorry if it doesn't m threats against the white king(maybe you did, but from your posts it doesn't seem that way).
    read this again In between the ++++++++

And remember black would queen with check

nm....it always cuts out the spot I want to quote. Go back to my earlier post-I gave the line and then asked if I was miscalculating something. Almost certain I wasn't now

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree