1. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 04:15
    He's now 5 for 5 in this year's Corus. Now that's amazing! His game vs Van Wely showed guts even Kramnik doesn't have!
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 06:152 edits
    Amazing?

He's had Leko who didn't look too bright, Caruana who messed up an endgame with opposite Bishops, and three Dutchies (against whom the rest will score 3/3 too 😛)
  3. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 06:54
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Amazing?

He's had Leko who didn't look too bright, Caruana who messed up an endgame with opposite Bishops, and three Dutchies (against whom the rest will score 3/3 too 😛)
    I love how his performance in such a tournament can be downgraded...

gotta love RHP.
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 06:581 edit
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    I love how his performance in such a tournament can be downgraded...

gotta love RHP.
    This was the easier part of the tournament for him, OK Leko can be tough stuff but the rest... Smeets & Van Wely have collected 8 losses in rounds 2-5.

It's good but "amazing" is newsreporter-like exaggeration - this kind of stuff and winning streaks WILL happen when you organise competitions
  5. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 07:331 edit
    This was the easier part of the tournament for him, OK Leko can be tough stuff but the rest... Smeets & Van Wely have collected 8 losses in rounds 2-5.

It's good but "amazing" is newsreporter-like exaggeration - this kind of stuff and winning streaks WILL happen when you organise competitions
    True enough. Leko "can be tough"... I'd give him more than that.

As far as the winning streaks, your completely accurate.
    Either way, it doesn't make the accomplishment any less admirable.

He's still playing chess in a tournament full of some of the highest competition; in no
    way will any opponent be forgiving of a collapse of concentration.

-GIN
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 12:051 edit
    What I like about his play are the risks he takes and that they are paying off, it's nice to see chess is alive again at that level! It seems like the era of short draws we used to see is over!

Also, it's normal for anyone to make mistakes vs the style of play he uses. It's like taking away from every sacrificial Tal win. Tal teached Shirov for awhile actually 🙂

5 for 5 at the start of Corus is AMAZING. period 😉
  7. e4
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 12:36
    Hi Max

"...era of short draws we used to see is over!..."

I hope so but fear not. It's been the bane of chess since the 60's.

5/5 at that level is brillo and yes any style that creates OTB problems for
    their opponent is bound to have a fair rate of success.

I'm clutching now, but did Tal not say:

"I win the games but lose the analysis" or words to that effetct?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 13:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Max

"...era of short draws we used to see is over!..."

I hope so but fear not. It's been the bane of chess since the 60's.

5/5 at that level is brillo and yes any style that creates OTB problems for
    their opponent is bound to have a fair rate of success.

I'm clutching now, but did Tal not say:

"I win the games but lose the analysis" or words to that effetct?
    i read that it was something to do with his style of play, perhaps like Moro his play is uncompromising and tends to lead to wins or losses, rather than draws. I think Moro or perhaps Ivanchuk has the least amount of draws per ratio of any grandmaster and therefore it is not surprising that they are popular players.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:22
    Amazing?

didn't you say before the tournament that the dutchies will surprise everyone and win? 🙂
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:27
    Originally posted by wormwood
    didn't you say before the tournament that the dutchies will surprise everyone and win? 😠
    I can't remember anything of that, must have been someone else
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:282 edits

I don't think "amazing" is off, it's very much OK. The top guns (Carlsen, Kramnik & Anand) could only dream of pulling a whole 5 out of the lower guns like he did, and leko is hardly a lower gun, he just doesn't beat you that's all 🙂.

It's what you can only hope to do in a tournament: Beat the lower rated guys, and hold your own against the higher/equal rated guys, while stealing some occasional wins from them. It doesn't get any better than what Shirov did so far.
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:32
    He needs some ego training though
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:33
    He needs some ego training though
    Why? The way he speaks so quietly and acts the cool/indifferent guy?
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 14:51
    Originally posted by wormwood
    didn't you say before the tournament that the dutchies will surprise everyone and win? 🙂
    OK without joking I really thought Smeets would do better, I really don't know much about him but he performed well at the top board at the European team championships (for countries) and I remember a quote of his from last year's Corus "it's not like they [the super-GMs] play chess from a different planet"

Van Wely, it was to be expected he was up for a negative score, ...but four such rather sad losses in a row is pushing it.

Defending champion Karjakin seems to have a completely anonymous tournament so far by the way.......
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 15:00
    OK without joking I really thought Smeets would do better, I really don't know much about him but he performed well at the top board at the European team championships (for countries) and I remember a quote of his from last year's Corus "it's not like they [the super-GMs] play chess from a different planet"

Van Wely, it was to be expected he was up for a ...[text shortened]... champion Karjakin seems to have a completely anonymous tournament so far by the way.......
    karjakin and anand both... smeets & short were my bets for the tournament punchbags, so pretty much everything seems to go along the plan. shirov is really my only surprise so far. well I did expect more from caruana.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree