1. Standard memberTarpey
    Wizzard Lv.3
    Coventry, UK
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 09:15
    I don't have much to add to the topic, but thought this was fascinating:
    goo.gl/nOUiy

I was not taught chess at school, I have no doubt it would have made me a better player today :o)
  2. bedlam
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 14:35
    No.
    I think it would be great if every school had a chess program as an extra to the normal subjects.An after school activity.Make them aware this game exists and then let them choose to play it or not.

But not compulsory.It would put people off.

Worst case scenario the school may even end up in court.Some kid develops a mental disorder and the parents claim the chess program turned it into a Fischer/Morphy/Steinitz etc....
  3. c6
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:46
    Compulsory from age two.
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:47
    Originally posted by Tarpey

I was not taught chess at school, I have no doubt it would have made me a better player today :o)
    If I was taught chess at school, I would not be a player today.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:03
    I run a chess club at school. The choice is theirs. The numbers are growing (nearly 60 members now). Lots of them want to join RHP to play together, but this site doesn't support the Thai language! 😠

Again, this International site doesn't support the Thai language, Russ! 😠

-m.
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:30
    Chess is a great for kids, they learn so much more than the game itself...decision making, taking responsibilty for there own actions, calculation/concentration, controlling there immotions, mentally dealing with losing, problem solving etc etc.

mikelom is to be applauded and anyone else running a club for or in schools, if there was funding from government there would be more of it. Alas it still is not a recognised sport in England.
  7. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 20:23
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    Chess is a great for kids, they learn so much more than the game itself...decision making, taking responsibilty for there own actions, calculation/concentration, controlling there immotions, mentally dealing with losing, problem solving etc etc.

mikelom is to be applauded and anyone else running a club for or in schools, if there was funding from government there would be more of it. Alas it still is not a recognised sport in England.
    chess is active in after school clubs in scotland, its the great britain land championship coming soon 8th may scottish megafinal, my 8 year old is realy keen beats me all the time(maybe thats easy before someone else says it) hes been playing since he was 5 and loves the game, i also have a 6 year old who knows the rules but hates the game. wish we had chess on espn instead of some of the so called "sports"
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 03:00
    Originally posted by Tarpey
    I don't have much to add to the topic, but thought this was fascinating:
    goo.gl/nOUiy

Only reading, writing and arithmetic should be compulsory. chess? nah!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree