Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    09 Jul '11 04:08
    Should my opponent have resigned this one or played it out? I was down two pieces but attacked aggressively and he resigned. Was that the right call?

  2. 09 Jul '11 06:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Should my opponent have resigned this one or played it out? I was down two pieces but attacked aggressively and he resigned. Was that the right call?

    [pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2011.06.04"]
    [EndDate "2011.07.08"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "AThousandYoung"]
    [Black "ericmittens"]
    [WhiteRating "1500" ...[text shortened]... 5xf1 24. Re1xf1 Ra8c8 25. Qc3h3 Rf8d8 26. Qh3h7 Kg8f8 27. f4 1-0[/pgn]
    27. .... Q.b2
  3. 09 Jul '11 09:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Should my opponent have resigned this one or played it out? I was down two pieces but attacked aggressively and he resigned. Was that the right call?

    [pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2011.06.04"]
    [EndDate "2011.07.08"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "AThousandYoung"]
    [Black "ericmittens"]
    [WhiteRating "1500" ...[text shortened]... 5xf1 24. Re1xf1 Ra8c8 25. Qc3h3 Rf8d8 26. Qh3h7 Kg8f8 27. f4 1-0[/pgn]
    I think he has a much better attack than you!

    Guess he couldn't see how to defend and forgot he had an attack of his own.
  4. 09 Jul '11 09:31
    Think we can chalk this one down to someone resigning in a won position.
    He quickly thought he had to move the Knight then gets mated on f7.
    Having 39 other games at the same time did not help.

    In one practically forced line Black can use the attacked Knight on e5 to take part in a mate.

  5. 11 Jul '11 16:08 / 1 edit


    Same question as above. Someone resigned against me and I've got a feeling there's a way out of this. I was thinking 21.QC2+, followed by F3, but it fails to 21... NC4 I think?
  6. 11 Jul '11 21:44 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Should my opponent have resigned this one or played it out? I was down two pieces but attacked aggressively and he resigned. Was that the right call?

    [pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2011.06.04"]
    [EndDate "2011.07.08"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "AThousandYoung"]
    [Black "ericmittens"]
    [WhiteRating "1500" 5xf1 24. Re1xf1 Ra8c8 25. Qc3h3 Rf8d8 26. Qh3h7 Kg8f8 27. f4 1-0[/pgn]
    You both should have resigned. After the tenth move black should be fighting for a draw the rest of the game... trading off his good bishop and a couple tempi for your bad bishop? suicide... you seemed to have the right ideas. your knight was heading for d6 and you played g4 Ng5 preparing f4-f5 to try and attack f7, maybe it was rushed and tactically ill prepared but it seems like you just gave up on your idea and started farting around the board.
  7. 11 Jul '11 21:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    [pgn]1. Ng1f3 d5 2. g3 Bc8f5 3. Bf1g2 Nb8d7 4. d4 c5 5. c3 Ng8f6 6. O-O e6 7. Nf3h4 Bf5g6 8. Nh4xg6 hxg6 9. Qd1b3 Qd8c7 10. Bc1f4 Qc7c6 11. c4 Nd7b6 12. cxd5 exd5 13. dxc5 Bf8xc5 14. Nb1c3 a6 15. e4 O-O-O 16. Ra1d1 Qc6e8 17. exd5 Rh8xh2 18. Rd1e1 {No Idea why the rook wasn't taken. I couldn't see a clear winning combination after this, I was just desperat way out of this. I was thinking 21.QC2+, followed by F3, but it fails to 21... NC4 I think?
    not much looking but 20.Bf3 seems to hold the immediate threats but if white can't generate some attack it doesn't seem like he has a chance.
  8. 12 Jul '11 08:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    not much looking but 20.Bf3 seems to hold the immediate threats but if white can't generate some attack it doesn't seem like he has a chance.
    Bf3 still loses to Rh1+ followed by Qh2++, however that did get me thinking that Be4 does stop all immediate mating threats, however will end up with the king being on f3 which ain't ideal.
  9. 12 Jul '11 16:21
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    [pgn]1. Ng1f3 d5 2. g3 Bc8f5 3. Bf1g2 Nb8d7 4. d4 c5 5. c3 Ng8f6 6. O-O e6 7. Nf3h4 Bf5g6 8. Nh4xg6 hxg6 9. Qd1b3 Qd8c7 10. Bc1f4 Qc7c6 11. c4 Nd7b6 12. cxd5 exd5 13. dxc5 Bf8xc5 14. Nb1c3 a6 15. e4 O-O-O 16. Ra1d1 Qc6e8 17. exd5 Rh8xh2 18. Rd1e1 {No Idea why the rook wasn't taken. I couldn't see a clear winning combination after this, I was just desperat ...[text shortened]... way out of this. I was thinking 21.QC2+, followed by F3, but it fails to 21... NC4 I think?
    White is toast with good play by Black. But lots of tactics abound, and if Black falters, White could get back in the game. So with a cheapo still possible, as White I wouldn't have resigned at this point.


    21.Be4 would hold off immediate mate, but White would probably lose more material:






    If 21.Qc2+ Nc4:





    If 21.Qc2+, the clincher for Black is:

  10. 13 Jul '11 13:29
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    [b]White is toast with good play by Black. But lots of tactics abound, and if Black falters, White could get back in the game. So with a cheapo still possible, as White I wouldn't have resigned at this point.
    ...
    If 21.Qc2+ Nc4:

    [pgn]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "2kr3q/1p3pp1/pn1b2p1/3P4/5Bn1/1Q4P1/PP3PBr/4RRK1 w - - 0 21"]
    [Termination "unterminated"]


    21. Q ...[text shortened]... me. White has almost dug himself out of the hole and still has a fighting chance.} *
    [/pgn]
    Great analysis. I completely missed Bh6, however I can still take the bishop safely.



    So I guess white was right for resigning in the end. Thanks for the analysis again.
  11. 13 Jul '11 14:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    Great analysis. I completely missed Bh6, however I can still take the bishop safely.
    Sorry, I should have elaborated on this line a little more.






    Here's another interesting line:


  12. 13 Jul '11 15:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    [b]Sorry, I should have elaborated on this line a little more.

    Here's another interesting line:
    And I think the black king has an escape route to the hills


    [/b]

    Edit: Just noticed blacks mating combination now fails, but a rook up should be a clear win.
  13. 13 Jul '11 18:45
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    And I think the black king has an escape route to the hills


    [pgn]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "3r3q/1p4p1/p2k2p1/3P1p2/2Q3n1/6P1/PP3PBr/5RK1 w - - 0 21"]
    [Termination "unterminated"]

    21. Qb4+ Kd7 22. Qa4+ {Only check} Kc8 23. Rc1 {Any queen move doesn't change anything dramatically} Kb8 24. Qf4 Ka8 {Safe in the hills} *
    [/pgn]


    Edit: Just noticed blacks mating combination now fails, but a rook up should be a clear win.[/b]
  14. 13 Jul '11 20:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    [pgn]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "3r3q/1p4p1/p2k2p1/3P1p2/2Q3n1/6P1/PP3PBr/5RK1 w - - 0 21"]
    [Termination "unterminated"]

    21. Qb4+ Kd7 22. Qxb7+[/pgn]
    That'll teach me for trying to solve chess problems at work!