1. Maryland, US
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:00
    It's in Garry Kasparov's book on Fischer.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:04
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have always thought of the Catalan as a Gruenfeld or an Accelerated Dragon, but with colors reversed, and white starting out achieving one strategic objective that it takes black many moves to accomplish, if at all.

A little esoteric, I know, but thinking like that keeps me from getting to stereotyped about the game.
    yes it is basically an accelerated dragon, mmm, your right, one should just play according to ones basic understanding of opening principles i think, this would stop us getting too bogged down with lines of this and lines of that and who knows we may even be able to do something original 🙂
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i see, perhaps something like the Catalan might be the baby for me 🙂
    It's completely hypermodern, like you said you didn't like and it's a bit too complex for your level I think. Play the queen's gambit if you don't want to play e4, it's pretty much your only option, and it's an amazing one.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:07
    Originally posted by JDChess
    It's in Garry Kasparov's book on Fischer.
    mmm, very interesting JD, ill shall check it out. i know Kasparov himself liked to play a3, in the Ruy, i used to use it against my little computer that i had, for it was not in its opening book and is really a rather excellent choice at that particular junction?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    It's completely hypermodern, like you said you didn't like and it's a bit too complex for your level I think. Play the queen's gambit if you don't want to play e4, it's pretty much your only option, and it's an amazing one.
    yes you are correct it is hypermodern, my level? you mean i wont understand the strategic principles? i am quite sure that if you can understand it, then so can I. Sorry i dont know if you noticed, i want to play 1.e4, but in a positional style.
  6. Maryland, US
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:21
    mmm, very interesting JD, ill shall check it out. i know Kasparov himself liked to play a3, in the Ruy, i used to use it against my little computer that i had, for it was not in its opening book and is really a rather excellent choice at that particular junction?
    Speaking of computers an opening books, if I play c4 and transpose into a queen's gambit from there my computer doesn't know the opening, but if I start with the classic d4 it does.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:27
    Speaking of computers an opening books, if I play c4 and transpose into a queen's gambit from there my computer doesn't know the opening, but if I start with the classic d4 it does.
    lol, computers are real dumb!
  8. Maryland, US
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:32
    It's true, which makes it all the worse when I lose to one!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:36
    It's true, which makes it all the worse when I lose to one!
    i know, its agony!
  10. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:45
    yes you are correct it is hypermodern, my level? you mean i wont understand the strategic principles? i am quite sure that if you can understand it, then so can I. Sorry i dont know if you noticed, i want to play 1.e4, but in a positional style.
    I never said I could understand it. I don't. It's one of the very few openings that is very popular at the IM- GM level and not catching on at all in club level. I have a few books on it and I play it, but not really well. I was only trying to help you, not offend you.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 01:501 edit
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    I never said I could understand it. I don't. It's one of the very few openings that is very popular at the IM- GM level and not catching on at all in club level. I have a few books on it and I play it, but not really well. I was only trying to help you, not offend you.
    no im not offended, sorry if i have given that impression 🙂 i wonder why its not catching on, Macpo on this site plays it rather beautifully, and has given excellent annotations once or twice of his games. Beetle also plays it i think.
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 02:27
    robbie, I doubt very seriously that you and I will be sitting opposite in April of next year fighting over the world championship. Play everything! I used to never play d4 but I loved playing against it as black. One day I realized I knew a whole bunch about what were the best lines for white! So I started playing all possible moves. I'm playing a Reti now (used to play it a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away) for the first time on this site. Don't care whether I win or lose - if I do win it won't be the opening, it will be because my opponent makes a mistake - likewise if I lose! Used to never play the Caro - got killed every time - now I play it and have won! Make your weaknesses into strengths! Heck, before the year is out I will be a total apostate and play the French! The earth is my oyster! Are you experienced? I am!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 02:541 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    robbie, I doubt very seriously that you and I will be sitting opposite in April of next year fighting over the world championship. Play everything! I used to never play d4 but I loved playing against it as black. One day I realized I knew a whole bunch about what were the best lines for white! So I started playing all possible moves. I'm playing a Reti n l be a total apostate and play the French! The earth is my oyster! Are you experienced? I am!
    Jack my friend, in fact i started playing 1.d4 which was ok, then because i am tactically quite poor, i switched to 1.e4 as i thought that i would get more tactical games in which i would be forced to calculate. You are correct Jack, in fact after move two or three I am basically on my own. I just read somewhere that you should at least know one opening, i dont know any past move three of four except the Ruy which i know up to move six (is that not astounding?) i have been playing chess for about four years and i dont know any openings? no not one!

chucka chucka wah wah, so you see, my little world wont let me go!
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 04:50
    1. f4

Certainly not hyper-modern and it gets very fun if your opponent replies with e5!
  15. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 07:08
    Hi, there has been much discussion about the merits of each and this is not intended to be a favouring of one over the other, but i have reached a consensus in my own mind about the style of chess that i like and was wondering if anyone could help determine what type of systems i should be employing.

1. I like pawn play rather than piece play, pa ...[text shortened]... this, for it seems to me to be rather paradoxical, i would be most indebted - regards Robbie.
    the contents of 1-4,
    supplemented with statement 5,
    are contradictory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree