1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 07:021 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Then why don't ye become prest to train harder? Methinks you could try for starters to go all the way up to 93 Hope Street and get the proper ammunition -it's closer than Ardcalloch I reckon, and them noble warriors up there will be glad to hand you the solid drakkar required for the fast deployment of yer chessmen😵
    if i was to saunter up there, would i gain entry, they would say, who is this ragged clown that likes chasing shadows on the wall and who plays chess as if he is rolling a dice!
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 08:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if i was to saunter up there, would i gain entry, they would say, who is this ragged clown that likes chasing shadows on the wall and who plays chess as if he is rolling a dice!
    Nononononono, methinks they would be quite happy to supply ye in full wi fine books according to yer level -and they have lots of amo regarding both 1.d4 and 1.e4; then, if you train hard enough, due time yer moves would probably look random as if you were rolling a dice, but that dice would be loaded from you😵
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 09:33
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Nononononono, methinks they would be quite happy to supply ye in full wi fine books according to yer level -and they have lots of amo regarding both 1.d4 and 1.e4; then, if you train hard enough, due time yer moves would probably look random as if you were rolling a dice, but that dice would be loaded from you😵
    loaded dice, now that is interesting 🙂

which particular books do you recommend to the patzer king dear Beetle
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 10:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    loaded dice, now that is interesting 🙂

which particular books do you recommend to the patzer king dear Beetle
    Methinks you would enjoy to the hilt Yusupovs' "Boost your Chess 1", "Build up your Chess 2" and "Build up your Chess 3". If I were you I would also purchase in advance Mr Shaws' "Quality Chess Puzzle Book" 😵
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 10:48
    ...you see, this beastie patzer has to finish in full his CT ART 3.0 training in order to feel free to buy another tactics training program or puzzles book😵
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 18:00
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    As a humorous aside, I live in Florida in the US, and below the Master level by far the most popular answer to 1. e4 c5 is the Closed Sicilian. In local tournaments it is the de facto "main line", with the Open Sicilian being an interesting sideline that people rarely get to play.

Perhaps I should say that we should pay attention to fashion so we'll know what we need to prepare against.
    Interesting, in the Midwest the submaster Sicilian choice is the Alapin.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 19:06
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Interesting, in the Midwest the submaster Sicilian choice is the Alapin.
    The Alapin was also very popular in Virginia back in the 80's and 90's when I lived there. I have a theory that the local popularity of an opening depends much on what openings the local masters and/or strong players play, and that amateur players and students are heavily influenced by them.

Books notwithstanding, many of us learn much of our chess via "tribal knowledge", in that we pick it up from other local players at the club or at tournaments, and people tend to share info on openings they play, simply because that's what they know best.

Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree