1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 21:58
    Can't decide...position seemed like it would just take forever to play itself out. Perhaps I was just lazy? I tried the aggressive route the whole game but came away empty....Better gameplay nothwithstanding 😉

Game 2643246
  2. USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 22:19
    Seems drawn to me.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 22:221 edit
    You should have continued, just move one of your rooks to c8 and then you have the c file and start playing trying to take advantage of that file.

Then you could double your rooks and have a very powerful weapon on the board , black seemed better positioned in my opinion, but I'm just a patzer and can be wrong.
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 22:22
    Originally posted by uzless
    Can't decide...position seemed like it would just take forever to play itself out. Perhaps I was just lazy? I tried the aggressive route the whole game but came away empty....Better gameplay nothwithstanding 😉

Game 2643246
    should not have drawn so early. there was still time for chances. You could have repositioned your queen to d1 and then withdrew your bishop to where your queen was... I dunno, could have ended in a draw, but at least you could have tried.
  5. Sydney
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:34
    I would have drawn too. There was play left in the position but all of it was going to be painful, with both sides needing to be very careful .. since you were both rated roughly equal why put yourselves through the pain for an internet chess game?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:371 edit
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    should not have drawn so early. there was still time for chances. You could have repositioned your queen to d1 and then withdrew your bishop to where your queen was... I dunno, could have ended in a draw, but at least you could have tried.
    The problem is that if there are exchanges the a pawn can become very strong. If I was playing it I'd try to play f7-f5. So I'd look at Rb7, g6 and f5. g6 is neccessary but leaves your king exposed and it's not clear to me that you get much more than a draw out of the central breakthrough anyway, so I don't think accepting a draw is the wrong thing to do.

I gave the position to Crafty and at 15 ply it gives it a score -0.04 giving 28. ... Qd8 as it's best move. So Crafty thinks it's pretty level When I carried out my plan against it, letting it get to around 13 ply it the assessment hardly changes. I think you could have carried on, but the position is pretty equal.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:17

Game 2643246
    Shouldn't have drawn. Exchange pawns instead...
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:23
    It pretty much depends on how you feel. Theoretically it may have been drawn, but when I first saw it I thought there was plenty of game left.
  9. Sydney
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:28
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It pretty much depends on how you feel. Theoretically it may have been drawn, but when I first saw it I thought there was plenty of game left.
    Exactly what i said .. plenty of game .. plenty of grueling, nails down a blackboard agonizing game left 😛
  10. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:45
    It was a drawn position, doesn't mean a drawn game. If we draw all games so early why don't we just go 1. e4...e5 DRAW 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 02:01
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    It was a drawn position, doesn't mean a drawn game. If we draw all games so early why don't we just go 1. e4...e5 DRAW 😛
    Better! Draw without even moving.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:48
    Originally posted by idioms
    I would have drawn too. There was play left in the position but all of it was going to be painful, with both sides needing to be very careful .. since you were both rated roughly equal why put yourselves through the pain for an internet chess game?
    that was my thinking also...some others think i gave up too early and they are probably right but I play for fun and that just didn't look like alot of fun. Tkz for the comments😉
  13. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 17:48
    I play for fun and that just didn't look like alot of fun.
    What's funny about drawing with most pieces still on the board?
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 18:17
    Originally posted by Ravello
    What's funny about drawing with most pieces still on the board?
    just seemed like a bunch of meaningless exchanges just to get down to pawn play. kinda boring no?
  15. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 18:32
    just seemed like a bunch of meaningless exchanges just to get down to pawn play. kinda boring no?
    No.

The fun is to try take some advantage against your opponent but if you trade knights and then want to draw because "meaningless exchanges" are boring then quit playing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree