1. Out To Lunch
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 00:311 edit
    I am trying to get into this opening but am having few creative ideas of what to do after the fiancettoing 🙁

Can anybody post their games using this opening or just give tips? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

-K 😀
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 08:09
    I played the Dragon for two or three years straight, analyzing and learning basically everything I could about it, and scored incredibly well. The sharp positions that arise reap rewards for those who put in the hard work to understand them. If you're wondering where your pieces go, you wouldn't do all that badly playing ...g6, ...Bg7, ...0-0, ...Nc6, ...Bd7, and ...Rc8. This isn't always true, but pretty close. I would recommend you buy "Play the Sicilian Dragon" by Eddie Dearing. Certainly worth the time and the money. Just to wet your appetite, here is my most recent Dragon game, and maybe the nicest I've played to date. There's a very interesting rook sac, which ends up winning me some pawns for a piece, while simplifying to an ending. There is a long forced line that basically leads to a winning zugzwang ending for Black. All around nice.

Game 4683358
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 11:32
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I played the Dragon for two or three years straight, analyzing and learning basically everything I could about it, and scored incredibly well. The sharp positions that arise reap rewards for those who put in the hard work to understand them. If you're wondering where your pieces go, you wouldn't do all that badly playing ...g6, ...Bg7, ...0-0, ...Nc6, ...Bd ...[text shortened]... y leads to a winning zugzwang ending for Black. All around nice.

Game 4683358
    dragon endgames... they're pure magic.
  4. e4
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 14:491 edit
    Yes "Play the Sicilian Dragon" by Eddie Dearing. is a good book.

Watch out for anti-Dragon moves. (2...d6. 3.Bb5+ or 2...Nc6 Bb5)
    which are very popular at the moment. Also be ready to ready
    to face the Morra (3...d3!), the Grand Prix Attack 2.Nc3 -f4 and
    the King's Indian Attack/closed Sicilain.

In the mainline Dragon, do not worry about the h4-h5 attack.
    It is what a Dragon players loves playing against.

As Black consider delaying castling for a move or two.
    Bd7 & Rc8 this gets White out automatic move mode.
    I've had them playing a3 & h3 waiting for me to 0-0
    so they go back into their book.
    They are then a a few tempo down.

If (and this goes for all Sicilains) you see a chance
    to play Rxc3 and then Nxe4. Do it.

Never give up your Dragon Bishop if White still has his
    Queen's Bishop on the board.

Have a plan v the Be2 and 0-0 variation.
    Not everybody will 0-0-0 and run up the h-pawn.

Good Luck

Game 4683358 - Wonderful game of chess.
  5. Out To Lunch
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 20:40
    I played the Dragon for two or three years straight, analyzing and learning basically everything I could about it, and scored incredibly well. The sharp positions that arise reap rewards for those who put in the hard work to understand them. If you're wondering where your pieces go, you wouldn't do all that badly playing ...g6, ...Bg7, ...0-0, ...Nc6, ...Bd ...[text shortened]... y leads to a winning zugzwang ending for Black. All around nice.

Game 4683358
    I am going to have to get that book, seems like a good enough idea. Viewed that game, just plain brilliant 😀

Have been looking into some tactics books on the Dragon, but I'm going to find that book and try to give that one a read. Thanks for all your help guys!

-K
  6. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 22:21

Game 4683358
    That's what's fun about playing the dragon...the rook sac is always fun and always correct! 😉
  7. e4
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 11:01
    Hi - used game 4683358 in my latest column.

http://chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=276

To appear there it has to very very good - or very very bad.

In this case it's the former. Thought it too good to lay tucked away
    in some chess forum.
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 17:11
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi - used game 4683358 in my latest column.

http://chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=276

To appear there it has to very very good - or very very bad.

In this case it's the former. Thought it too good to lay tucked away
    in some chess forum.
    Thanks again for putting the game on your site. It's quite a compliment! 😀
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 08:34

Game 4683358
    wow... you haven't calculated that ending to the end when you had played ...Rxc2, have you? (please say no).
  10. e4
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 10:27
    "It's quite a compliment!"

Other players talk about a thing called :

"THE CURSE OF THE CORNER"

When a game appears on my site the player is doomed
    to lose their next few games.

So fingers crossed/don't walk under ladders/don't play
    on Friday the 13th. etc etc.
  11. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 16:13
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    wow... you haven't calculated that ending to the end when you had played ...Rxc2, have you? (please say no).
    No I hadn't. I calculated all the way to ...Kg2 after I played ...exf4 though. I was lucky enough to notice the bank rank weakness, so I was able to find some lines like the one in the game that allowed me to force that zugzwang ending.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree