1. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 07:36
    barnes and nobles has it..
    it ain't no different than any other end-game book.

enough said.
  2. over there
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 12:15
    Originally posted by more guinness
    It's on the shelf at Barnes and Noble in Fort Collins. Don't know about elsewhere.
    It's at Barnes & Nobles here as well. It looks like a good book; it's fairly large. I'l probably get that book next since I don't have much endgame knowledge.
  3. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 23:03
    What do you mean "it ain't no different"? This book will revolutionize endgame teaching. Expect all chess players in the world to increase their ratings at least 100 points.
  4. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 00:43
    he is right

I just got this book and I read the first chapter

Now... If I have two queens against your lone king... man are you in for some trouble

I can even go out on a limb a bit and say the same thing even if I only have a queen and a rook... thank you very much... *bows*

It's a big book and Im exited to read the whole thing so even if it's "just another endgame book" the fact that someone who has only played gambits for months is interested in endgame books is a good thing.

I don't know if the book is revolutionary or not... I've barely scratched the surface but it will improve my chess since I'm going to read it.

It does start a bit like all chess books... points out that there are millions of books then explains why the other ones suck... but he's a good author.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 01:03
    First off like all of Silman's other books (except his complete strategy book) it is very well written and his enthusiasm is clear. Second there are plenty of diagrams and explanations written in words with the variations. His chapters also have nice summaries at the beginning and end so you can do a mental check to make sure you got it all. I ran through the beginner through class B stuff with minimal effort (a refresh of lucena/philidor is always good knowledge) and I can say that it is easy to pick up on the ideas. The exercises at the end of the chapters are well tailored to the material. An excellent buy.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 23:38
    I went into Barnes and Noble today. Big mistake! Now, I'm out $20 and own Silman's Complete Endgame Course. After a day or two skimming it, I'll put it on the shelf next to Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, Muller and Lamprecht's Fundamental Chess Endings, and several other texts.

I'm certain that it won't just stay on the shelf, as I was already arguing with him in the aisles of the bookstore, while also agreeing with some his ideas for developing chess talent (mine and those I tutor).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree