1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:14
    I don't know if anyone will find this interesting but I found this very interesting both times I read the book.

White to play.

Dream up a fantasy position for white. Where would you want your pieces and pawns to be?

So basically you pick a side to play on, Kingside, center or Queenside and then dream up a position you would like to achieve for white. Where do you want your queen,Rook, bishop and pawns?

Then Post that position. Do not move the black pieces.
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:19
    Right now I'd like to stick the Queen and rook on the d-file, play Bxf7+ and win the exchange. Not sure I'd fantasise over it though.
  3. Standard memberStewartChess
    somethin clever here
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:211 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I don't know if anyone will find this interesting but I found this very interesting both times I read the book.

[fen]2br2k1/5pp1/1p3q1p/2pBpP2/2P1P3/P6P/2Q3P1/5RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to play.

Dream up a fantasy position for white. Where would you want your pieces and pawns to be?

So basically you pick a side to play on, Kingside, center or Qu ...[text shortened]... nt your queen,Rook, bishop and pawns?

Then Post that position. Do not move the black pieces.
    if it's white to play, i'd like my queen on c7 and my rook on d1. this is just at a quick glance.

putting white up by a queen after Bxf7+ if Kf8 you go up a queen as white, if Kh8 or h7 then it leads to mate.
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:26
    The solution is play on the queenside Qa4-Qa7, Rb1 and win b-pawn or open b-file with a4-a5 there is little black can do

..and no, I have not read the book!
  5. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:47
    I want my queen on h7 and my rook on h8
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:49
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Right now I'd like to stick the Queen and rook on the d-file, play Bxf7+ and win the exchange. Not sure I'd fantasise over it though.
    What happens when the black king moves of the diagonal so Bxf7 is not Check?

As Silman wrote, don't hope for mistakes. "Hope Chess" I call it.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 22:52
    Originally posted by sleightjacke
    The solution is play on the queenside Qa4-Qa7, Rb1 and win b-pawn or open b-file with a4-a5 there is little black can do

..and no, I have not read the book!
    Right.

The center is locked, the kingside looks attractive but you might expose your king. Why take that risk.

You see the weak b-pawn.

So you have to attack it.

Rb1 is possible, and where should the queen go? Qa7 or Qc7 are great spots. Can you get the queen to c7? Hard but a7 is possible.

So which move should you play first? Rb1 or Qa4-Qa7?

So now you know the position you want, Rook on b1 and Queen on a7.

Can black stop your plan?
  8. Standard memberStewartChess
    somethin clever here
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 23:04
    Right.

The center is locked, the kingside looks attractive but you might expose your king. Why take that risk.

You see the weak b-pawn.

So you have to attack it.

Rb1 is possible, and where should the queen go? Qa7 or Qc7 are great spots. Can you get the queen to c7? Hard but a7 is possible.

So which move should you play first? Rb1 or Qa4-Qa7? ...[text shortened]...
    So now you know the position you want, Rook on b1 and Queen on a7.

Can black stop your plan?
    the rules were to come up with a dream position of where you'd like your pieces to be, not where they are more easily placed to give you an advantage right? i just want to make sure. is it suppose to be a position that can be reached within a few moves that can lead to a gain in material or a position that you'd like your pieces to be at to win?
  9. Joined
    14 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 23:04
    Q on c7, R on a7, B where it is
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 23:14
    Originally posted by StewartChess
    the rules were to come up with a dream position of where you'd like your pieces to be, not where they are more easily placed to give you an advantage right? i just want to make sure. is it suppose to be a position that can be reached within a few moves that can lead to a gain in material or a position that you'd like your pieces to be at to win?
    You dream up a position and then see if you can actual reach it.

If you can't, you dream up another position.

In this case you play Qa4 first because, If you play Rb1 then Bd7 and you can't get your queen to a4 so easily.

So the game went,

1.Qa4 Bd7 2.Qa7 Be8 protecting the f7 pawn 3.Rb1 Rd6

and then a4-a5 etc... and white traded the a pawn for the b-pawn and won the c pawn and the game.
  11. Standard memberStewartChess
    somethin clever here
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 23:25
    Ohh, gotcha. that would probably come in handy in my games actually. i think im going to try it.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 00:45
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    I want my queen on h7 and my rook on h8
    lol, brilliant...
    the obvious answer is usually the cleverest...
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 01:09
    You dream up a position and then see if you can actual reach it.

If you can't, you dream up another position.

In this case you play Qa4 first because, If you play Rb1 then Bd7 and you can't get your queen to a4 so easily.

So the game went,

1.Qa4 Bd7 2.Qa7 Be8 protecting the f7 pawn 3.Rb1 Rd6

and then a4-a5 etc... and white traded the a pawn for the b-pawn and won the c pawn and the game.
    white won the c pawn because the black pieces were coordinated to defend the b-pawn and couldn't reorganize quickly enough to defend the c pawn after the pawn exchange
  14. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 01:45
    Out of the whole book that I've read so far this is the hardest part for me. Coming up with a plan. I also need to work on spotting my opponents best plans but I assume as I get better in spotting mine I would be able to discover the plans for the opponent. I feel like the workbook will help tremendously.
  15. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 02:52
    Its pretty logical you want to put pressure on that backward pawn

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree