Silman's Reassess your Chess Workbook

Silman's Reassess your Chess Workbook

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
21 Sep 08

I bought this book almost a year ago, but felt it was a little too advanced for me at that point since I was just getting back into the game. I've come pretty far since then and have had some great victories OTB, so I've decided to open this book up again for some more in-depth study. Very humbling indeed! I tried doing the move by move analysis of problem 127 which gives a 12 move opening game score. When I reviewed Silman's notes on the game in the answer section I found my analysis to be almost totally off!!! This is a great book to help you look deeper into positions and to see where your thinking is off. I also like that themes differ from problem to problem, so he challenges you to really think the position given and not apply a dogma that he just previously etched in your head!

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
21 Sep 08

I prefer this book greatly over the original How to Reassess Your Chess

N

Moves
23 Sep 08

N

Moves
23 Sep 08

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
I prefer this book greatly over the original How to Reassess Your Chess
Why? Elaborate a little.

d

Moves
23 Sep 08

Originally posted by NorrisB
Why? Elaborate a little.
it's composed of detailed analysis of positions where there's a single best positional move, and a very good book, but I don't like the writing style of silman + some analysis lacks quality for the losing side (i.e not the best replies).

I don't know how it compares to the original book though.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
23 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by NorrisB
Why? Elaborate a little.
I prefer this book because there is just simply much more material than Reassess Your Chess. The workbook gives a synopsis of Reassess Your Chess in it's entirety at the starting, and I think that's good enough, then you just dive into the exercises. The solutions to the problems are quite thorough, containing a page or two of prose and variations to support it. Really what the workbook does is take a position from a game where there is a clear best move that's findable by positional reasoning, and then presents you with a decent fragment of the game annotated as the solution. It's quite nice, and I feel like the student has an opportunity to learn more from the workbook than from the original. It's kind of a cop out if someone is just showing you everything, but when it's presented in a problem / answer form, you get a chance to practice it yourself, which is important.