Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    03 Jul '09 12:39
    I just ordered my first chess book "Simple Chess" and am emphatically awaiting it's arrival. I just got beat by my 12 year old cousin by not watching my back door only to fall victim to poor strategy in the next game. I stalemated him with a Queen, King while he only had a King. Poor play on my part. Don't get me wrong, the kid is good. His father is VERY good. Obviously he has more sound fundamentals than I do and an excellent teacher. Hopefully studying this book will start me down the path to astonishing play amongst the ranks of the elite. One can dream can't he. LOL Just wanted to share with all of my RHP friends.
  2. Standard member vatiquette
    Light Square Bishop
    03 Jul '09 12:59
    It's certainly an interesting read but, in my experience, I would spend most of your time on tactics.

    Best results I had was with:

    Chess Tactics for Students by John Bain - I bought this direct from the Author but I have seen it on Amazon
    --- Read the book over and over until you can do the whole book in about an hour - do at least one section a day everyday to drill the patterns in.

    I started studying this in January 08 and if you look at my RHP graph shortly after you'll notice a sudden increase in rating.

    Follow up with:

    Combinative Motifs By Maxim Blokh - This is hard to find but the London Chess Centre have copies!
    --- Read the book over and over for level 1 problems - when they are easy start again doing level 2, then 3 etc

    I'm working through level 2s on this at the moment - I do 6 - 10 puzzles a day everyday.
  3. 03 Jul '09 14:03
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    I just ordered my first chess book "Simple Chess" and am emphatically awaiting it's arrival. I just got beat by my 12 year old cousin by not watching my back door only to fall victim to poor strategy in the next game. I stalemated him with a Queen, King while he only had a King. Poor play on my part. Don't get me wrong, the kid is good. His fat ...[text shortened]... te. One can dream can't he. LOL Just wanted to share with all of my RHP friends.
    Think you've been mislead by the title.
  4. 03 Jul '09 14:49 / 1 edit
    "Simple Chess" if this is the same simple chess by Michael Stean then it's an excellent book.
    Simple clear explanations of Outposts, Weak Pawns, Space, Open Files, etc,

    It's all in descriptive notation which might be a problem if you're not familiar with this.
  5. Standard member vatiquette
    Light Square Bishop
    03 Jul '09 14:58
    Originally posted by Mahout
    "Simple Chess" if this is the same simple chess by Michael Stean then it's an excellent book.
    Simple clear explanations of Outposts, Weak Pawns, Space, Open Files, etc,

    It's all in descriptive notation which might be a problem if you're not familiar with this.
    My copy is algebraic
  6. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    03 Jul '09 15:16
    The copy I ordered said it was algebraic.
  7. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    03 Jul '09 15:17
    Originally posted by vatiquette
    It's certainly an interesting read but, in my experience, I would spend most of your time on tactics.

    Best results I had was with:

    Chess Tactics for Students by John Bain - I bought this direct from the Author but I have seen it on Amazon
    --- Read the book over and over until you can do the whole book in about an hour - do at least one section a da ...[text shortened]... c

    I'm working through level 2s on this at the moment - I do 6 - 10 puzzles a day everyday.
    Vatiquette,
    I play a lot on FICS to try an improve tactics. Does that count?
  8. 03 Jul '09 16:38
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    Vatiquette,
    I play a lot on FICS to try an improve tactics. Does that count?
    its a wonderful book my friend, honestly well worth it just give it some time for the ideas to be assimilated into your game, there is always a little lull, i wish someone could explain why, then you shall reap the benefits. here is a little link to an excellent tactics page, which demonstartes the thought process while looking for tactics,

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PDJoseph/chapter1.htm

    you have the authors permission to download and print as much as you like - regards Robbie.
  9. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    03 Jul '09 16:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its a wonderful book my friend, honestly well worth it just give it some time for the ideas to be assimilated into your game, there is always a little lull, i wish someone could explain why, then you shall reap the benefits. here is a little link to an excellent tactics page, which demonstartes the thought process while looking for tactics,

    http ...[text shortened]... m

    you have the authors permission to download and print as much as you like - regards Robbie.
    Thanks Robbie,
    I'll check that out,
    Eric
  10. 03 Jul '09 23:01
    I would say that playing on FICS does not count for studying tactics. You need to do puzzles. Here's a free site that alot of people like:

    http://chess.emrald.net/
  11. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    03 Jul '09 23:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I would say that playing on FICS does not count for studying tactics. You need to do puzzles. Here's a free site that alot of people like:

    http://chess.emrald.net/
    My mistake Eladar,
    That site is what I was talking about when I said FICS. I was thinking one thing and writing another. I play on the CTS daily. As many puzzles as I can.
    Eric
  12. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    04 Jul '09 10:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    My mistake Eladar,
    That site is what I was talking about when I said FICS. I was thinking one thing and writing another. I play on the CTS daily. As many puzzles as I can.
    Eric
    I've recently joined that site but I seriously don't like it, as all your tactics are blitz (at least I didnt find any other ones). I like chess tempo better, first of all its a better site, much easyer to understand and use, and the tactics envolve everything (even simple captures), you can ask for explanations, practice blitz and most important off all, standard tactics, wich is the same as to say untimed tactics. I believe it is juch more important to find the tactic in 1 or 2 minutes nad understan why that was the very best move, than to find one in 5 seconds and dont understand it, at least when you are still learning your ABC of tactics.

    the link is:
    http://chesstempo.com/

    let me add as an example: two days ago it took me 8 (!) minutes to find a tactic but I found it and I understood it, I'm quite proud of it
  13. 04 Jul '09 11:04
    Originally posted by orion25
    I've recently joined that site but I seriously don't like it, as all your tactics are blitz (at least I didnt find any other ones). I like chess tempo better, first of all its a better site, much easyer to understand and use, and the tactics envolve everything (even simple captures), you can ask for explanations, practice blitz and most important off all, st ...[text shortened]... least when you are still learning your ABC of tactics.

    the link is:
    http://chesstempo.com/
    yep i agree, chesstempo is the way to go, you get punished on the other site if you move not quickly enough.
  14. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    04 Jul '09 19:03
    I'll have to check that site out. I agree about the speed thing. I just look at it as I'm not there to be fast so I really don't care about my stats. If I get it right and learn from it, it served it's purpose for me. I agree though, if you are not quick, you are not rewarded. Even if you solve the puzzle. Thanks folks.
  15. 04 Jul '09 19:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    I'll have to check that site out. I agree about the speed thing. I just look at it as I'm not there to be fast so I really don't care about my stats. If I get it right and learn from it, it served it's purpose for me. I agree though, if you are not quick, you are not rewarded. Even if you solve the puzzle. Thanks folks.
    tell us when your book arrives and we can exchange some ideas, there are some beautiful games in that book.