1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:461 edit
    http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=110369&page=4#post_2069429

Was shocked to hear that site admins provide hints about the rules during games. This means that if this kind of position arises, and neither player knows the en passant rule:

(Last move was ...b7-b5+)

The site admins change the result of the game by informing the players of the EP rule. 😞
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:58
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=110369&page=4#post_2069429

Was shocked to hear that site admins provide hints about the rules during games. This means that if this kind of position arises, and neither player knows the en passant rule:

[fen]3Q4/k7/p1P5/Pp6/K7/2q5/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    (Last move was ...b7-b5+)

The site admins change the result of the game by informing the players of the EP rule. 😞
    Hypothetical conversation:

Black says, "I checkmated the black king! Why doesn't the site say the game is over? I think the site is broken. Help!"

Admin - "No comment. I can't give 3rd party assistance. But the site isn't broken. The two of you will have to stare at the board until one of you runs out of time."

-----------

btw, if neither player knows EP, how much does it really matter? 🙂
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:111 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hypothetical conversation:

Black says, "I checkmated the black king! Why doesn't the site say the game is over? I think the site is broken. Help!"

Admin - "No comment. I can't give 3rd party assistance. But the site isn't broken. The two of you will have to stare at the board until one of you runs out of time."

-----------

btw, if neither player knows EP, how much does it really matter? 🙂
    btw, if neither player knows EP, how much does it really matter?

Let's say it's the final game in a clan league.

The players are on 6th board for two teams vying for the number 2 spot in the division. Winner's team advances to the next division; loser's team stays down.

Both teams have sweated it out over the 108-game season in hopes of making the next division.

Thus, this game matters a good deal. Certainly too much to be decided on a hint from the site admin.

No comment should be given other than "There is no glitch." It is up to the players to know the rules. If they do not know the rules, they should research on their own until they learn the rules. Otherwise, they should forfeit on time.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:14
    [b]btw, if neither player knows EP, how much does it really matter?

The players are on 6th board for two teams vying for the number 2 spot in the division. Winner's team advances to the next division; loser's team stays down.

Both teams have sweated it out over the 108-game season in hopes of ...[text shortened]... research on their own until they learn the rules. Otherwise, they should forfeit on time.[/b]
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right, of course. I was just having a little fun, hehe.
  5. e4
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:15
    2nd time I've seen this since I've been here. I find it hilarious.

Nobody should have said anything.
    If the player could not figure out ep then he loses on time.

(Perhaps the game should be replayed and grades reverted)

Take this situation to a tournament setting.

The player not knowing the ep would resign thinking he has been mated.

I don't know of a case where ep was missed but a player thinking
    he was mated (when he was not) has happened.

here is the game in question. ep is still in the position at the end
    but the game is over.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:18
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right, of course. I was just having a little fun, hehe.
    😀

Yeah, that's how I started out in the help forum thread ... just having a little fun ... and then the casual players drew me into a big argument. 😞
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:20
    I seem to remember that this happened a while back. Someone posted a thread and stated that he thought the site was broken. I was one of the first to respond, and I basically said that the site was working just fine.

Of course, others chimed in with enough hints to let the player know what he needed to do. lol
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 03:482 edits
    [b]btw, if neither player knows EP, how much does it really matter?

Both teams have sweated it out over the 108-game season in hopes of research on their own until they learn the rules. Otherwise, they should forfeit on time.[/b]

Both teams have sweated it out over the 108-game season in hopes of making the next division.

Thus, this game matters a good deal.

Can't you get any more dramatic than this.
    Another phony chess scenario. Like there would be anyone on a league team that made it to this scenario of yours that didn't know en passant. 🙄
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 03:51
    😀

Yeah, that's how I started out in the help forum thread ... just having a little fun ... and then the casual players drew me into a big argument. 😞
    that's how I started out in the help forum thread ... just having a little fun ... and then the casual players drew me into a big argument. 😞
    LOL😵
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 04:07
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    2nd time I've seen this since I've been here. I find it hilarious.

Nobody should have said anything.

(Perhaps the game should be replayed and grades reverted)

Take this situation to a tournament setting.

The player not knowing the ep would resign thinking he has been mated.

I do ...[text shortened]... 5 Kb6a6 32. Rc7xc5 b6 33. Qf4xe3 bxc5 34. Qe3xe6 Ka6b5 35. c4[/pgn]
    No one said anything to the player who might think he's in checkmate here. The person who was referred to the en passant rule was the player who made the last move. He thought he had checkmate and that there was a site glitch.
    There was a chance his opponent could have stumbled across the post in question. But it doesn't look like he did seeing he resigned.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 04:192 edits
    I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here. I see both sides. But the drama is just killing me. This was just a friendly game with two semi beginner, 1100 rated players.
    And now we know it's the policy of RHP to inform players in such situations of en passant. Love it, or leave it, or appeal to the proper authority's and try to have it changed.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 04:28
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here. I see both sides. But the drama is just killing me. This was just a friendly game with two beginner 1100 rated players.
    Hey, glad you could join us ... and glad you found some more time to 'waste' on this topic. 😵
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 04:36
    Hey, glad you could join us ... and glad you found some more time to 'waste' on this topic. 😵
    I'm getting a good laugh out of it now with all the drama. lol
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 04:57
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    I'm getting a good laugh out of it now with all the drama. lol
    See, I knew that you, too, could learn to have a little fun with things.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 05:06

you can take out the word learn. 😉 Take care SG 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree