1. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 11:57
    Fellow ChessNuts,
    I'm in a slump! The hole that I'm in seems to be getting deeper. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get out of a slump? What are some of the things that others have done to turn things around.

HELP!!
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 15:00
    Originally posted by chesstora
    I'm in a slump! The hole that I'm in seems to be getting deeper. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get out of a slump?
    Yeah. Keep playing, be patient, and don't fret about rating points. You're here to play chess and enjoy it, not to worry about how low a dog you are on this virtual trash mound.
    At least, that's what I do when (not if) I'm losing again - like now...

Richard
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 15:14
    get enough sleep, keep playing (but not too much in a single session if it's blitz), and it'll come back as mysteriously as it went away. it always comes back.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 15:57
    Figure out why you're(not your)losing. Remove those whys from your(not you're)play 🙂
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 16:15
    Try playing in a way that's completely not your style. Try a drastically different opening that what you're used to. If you're a conservative player, try switching to highly offensive.

After two or three games of playing like this, you'll see the board in a whole different way. This should work for you.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 17:11
    Originally posted by vivify
    Try playing in a way that's completely not your style. Try a drastically different opening that what you're used to. If you're a conservative player, try switching to highly offensive.

After two or three games of playing like this, you'll see the board in a whole different way. This should work for you.
    never go for crazy desperados if you have a bad day. it'll only make it worse. if you can't hold the solid positions, you're guaranteed to crash and burn in the sharp and complicated ones.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 18:36
    The last bad chess slump I had started before Christmas and ended the next September. It all started when I played a sub 1400 rated player and lost. I later watched that player's rateing rise above 2200. All I could do was take all the time the clock allowed and play through the slump. Somehow you just have to make it through the things of life as well.
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 15:13
    Rest is a key component in chess strength, almost every slump I have had can be tied directly to too much studying and not enough time away from the board.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:29
    Originally posted by chesstora
    Fellow ChessNuts,
    I'm in a slump! The hole that I'm in seems to be getting deeper. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get out of a slump? What are some of the things that others have done to turn things around.

HELP!!
    A few ideas that have helped me:

1. Always anaylize your moves with a standard chess set, don't just stare at the computer screen.

2. Keep your game load low. Too many games can cut your quality of moves. (I learned this one the hard way!)

3. Balance your study and playing time. You need both in order to improve.

4. Be paitent with yourself. Chess is easy to play, but very difficult to play well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree