1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 00:123 edits
    I've never been so proud of a game! I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and I did it! Sure, I overlooked a couple of things, and my play certainly wasn't perfect, but for once I had a long term plan, stuck to it and won!

2. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 09:05
    Very nice.Congratulations! 🙂
  3. Joined
    29 Aug '11
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 10:01
    Very good game indeed , you have every reason to be proud of it.
    From start to end every move was part of a bigger plan.
    Well done!!!
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 10:59
    kudos
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 12:042 edits
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    I've never been so proud of a game! I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and I did it! Sure, I overlooked a couple of things, and my play certainly wasn't perfect, but for once I had a long term plan, stuck to it and won!

[pgn]
    1. d4 Ng8f6 2. Ng1f3 g6 3. e3 Bf8g7 4. Bf1d3 {Move 4. and I already don't know if I'm in any named opening.} d5 {I'm giving 31. Rc2c1 Nd4e2 32. Kg1h1 Ne2xc1 33. Nf1xe3 d4 {White resigned.} 0-1[/pgn]
    I can see why you are proud of this game. I have only a couple comments about the game.

6. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 12:12
    "20.Qd3 attacking both the d5 and b5 pawns and getting his queen back into play"

Well,Ne7 defends everything,not to mention white is a piece down
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 12:35
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    "20.Qd3 attacking both the d5 and b5 pawns and getting his queen back into play"

Well,Ne7 defends everything,not to mention white is a piece down
    Okay, I admit, I overlooked that move because I did not spend much time looking at it from Black's point of view. I think White is still better off with that move than the one he actually made. Black has a Rook and a pawn for 2 bishops, which point wise is about equal, even though in practice the 2 bishops may be stronger in this position.
  8. e4
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 16:222 edits
    Good game, you are getting there and thinking about things.

The best thing was no blunders that I could see. One or two 'iffy' moves
    rough around the dges but yes a good game.

9. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 18:581 edit
    Hi Greenpawn.

I love the idea of 23...Qf4. It's way above me to see such moves, but I can appreciate them!

Rd1 stopping e5 would definitely have worked against me. I'd have gone right into it, I'm absolutely sure.

b5. I must say I don't remember exactly why I chose this over moving the queen. Moving the queen to the dark diagonal was constantly on my mind during the opening, but for some reason I decided not to do it yet. You're right that the pawn move makes my defences weaker, but I didn't see the things you mentioned. I didn't see any danger and I remembered the advice to look for moves that break the rules! 🙂

Here's my game against Paul Leggett in which I tried to do something with my queen in the opening and it ended up being chased around:

(That game was one of the most instructive things that have happened to me chess-wise.)
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 22:012 edits
    let it be known that you played the Colle, for all you haters out there, suck it up! Ooops my bad, white was beaten, I take it all back, Colle sucks! 😛

very interesting annotations, thanks for that , looking for something to get me interested in chess again, its like eating porridge every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the moment.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 22:44
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Good game, you are getting there and thinking about things.

The best thing was no blunders that I could see. One or two 'iffy' moves
    rough around the dges but yes a good game.

[pgn]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. e3 Bg7 4. Bd3 d5 5. O-O c5 6. c3 cxd4 7. exd4 Nc6 8. Bc2 {That is a waste of time and also a bad move. 8.Re1 was the move it is consitent w ...[text shortened]... s pawns.} 34... Bd4 35. Rxc3 Bxe3 36. Rxd3 Rc8 37. h3 Rc1+ 38. Kh2 Bg1+ 39. Kh1 Ng3[/pgn]
    this was also good medicine, thanks GP.
  12. e4
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 02:141 edit
    White's crime in the first game was not developing his b1 Knight and
    bringing the a1 Rook into the game.

"I remembered the advice to look for moves that break the rules!"
    and then you reject them. 🙂

It's loose (unprotected) pieces at our level that undo us. Often a careless
    pawn is at fault.
    A reasonable tactician will always be scanning the board for a loose piece/pawn
    and a way to take advantage of it.

None?

OK can I create loose piece/pawn in his position without giving myself
    a loose piece? In a nutshell this what good players are thinking except in their
    case you can add 'square' to the piece and pawn.
    A weak unprotected square in the heart of your position is sometimes all
    a good player needs. But that is jumping ahead.

Wandering King Only Please.

Here. White to play. Spot the loose Black piece and work on it.

Three main lines.
    One wins the exchnage (that will please you.)
    One mates Black.
    One picks up the loose piece.

I need to see all three lines. (do it in your head.)
  13. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 03:201 edit
    OK, I've been thinking for almost an hour and I don't have a solution. I suspect 1.Bf7 could be the move. I need to have three main lines, and there are three things black can do after this:

1...Rxd2 which I think leads to a forced mate after Qxg6+.

1...Qxf7, which allows 2.Rxd8, winning the exchange.

1...Kxf7, after which I should be able to take a loose piece, but I don't know how. Black has two hanging pieces: the queen and the rook. Kxf7, I can play 2.Rxd8 Qxd8, which makes 3.Qxe5 possible, but I don't see what that gives me. The bishop on f6 is now defended by the queen so I don't see any continuation. If there wasn't a pawn on c4, I could just fork the king and the rook on a6 by 3.Qc4, but the pawn is there I don't see any way to get it out of there. There are also checks in this position but I don't see any good coming out of them: 2.Rd7+, 2.Qxg6+ and 2.Rxf6+.

I just don't see any way to work on the loose black pieces. All I can see is the vulnerability of the black king.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 04:331 edit
    Hi Greenpawn.

I love the idea of 23...Qf4. It's way above me to see such moves, but I can appreciate them!

Rd1 stopping e5 would definitely have worked against me. I'd have gone right into it, I'm absolutely sure.

b5. I must say I don't remember exactly why I chose this over moving the queen. Moving the queen to the dark diagonal was constantl most instructive things that have happened to me chess-wise.)
    You might have tried for a draw with 59...Kg5 and then tried to trade the pawns off to reach a B + K vs K ending. He might have made a mistake and allowed you to do it.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 06:502 edits
    OK, I've been thinking for almost an hour and I don't have a solution. I suspect 1.Bf7 could be the move. I need to have three main lines, and there are three things black can do after this:

1...Rxd2 which I think leads to a forced mate after Qxg6+.

1...Qxf7, which allows 2.Rxd8, winning the exchange.

1...Kxf7, after which I should be able to o work on the loose black pieces. All I can see is the vulnerability of the black king.
    Every tactic is a double attack in different guises. When an idea doesn't work look for a different square... The queen is a very mobile piece but she can't defend everything... Also check checks! Even when your piece lands on a defended square.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree