1. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 07:15
    I am building this http://www.passionforchess.com/chess/showSolitaire/. Looking for feedback.

thanks
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 07:31
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    I am building this http://www.passionforchess.com/chess/showSolitaire/. Looking for feedback.

thanks
    Interesting idea!

Majnu2006 made a video about 'guessing the move of the grand master' called

Play like Kramnik!

YouTube

This solitaire thing is okay, but you need to make it jquery/ajax so that it doesnt keep reloading the page, which makes it slow. Well: Slow on New Zealand internets I should say.
  3. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 08:23
    Interesting video!

I will look into performance issue. Is it reloading of the page which is taking time? Or, is it just that reloading is an irritant ? On my end, it takes about 1.3s for load\reload of page.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 13:55
    I am a huge fan of solitaire chess- a few thoughts.

1) starting from the opening is a bit questionable since there are so many alternative but decent moves. Far better to start from the first critical position in the game.

2) I typed nxf3 instead of Nxf3 and it didnt recognize it...

In general, I like the setup and would love to see a couple thousand games on there.
  5. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 16:53
    thanks for the feedback. Sure, will get more games soon!!
  6. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 19:25
    1) Similarly, I entered 'O-O' instead of '0-0' and it didn't recognise it. I guess it actually is '0-0' .. I never really thought about it before.

2) It would be nice if the table kept track of the moves we got right/wrong.

3) Oh, and a really cool feature would be to allow users to add comments on *why* a move was right or wrong. Kind of a set of updatable notes associated with each move .. a chess-wiki, if you will.

Nice idea, though - keep us updated on your progress!
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 22:192 edits
    I like Aquatabby's idea of being able to include user comments.
  8. e4
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 02:26
    Good idea but dragging and dropping the piece to the square
    would be ideal rather than asking the player to type in the move.

Very much like 'How Good is Your Chess.'

The questions start after the first 9 or so moves and you get points for
    guessing the correct move. Then a table of scores to see how good you are.

eg:

70 pts. GM
    50 pts IM
    30 Pts FM
    10 pts Keep trying
    5 pts try a few games v Mad Rook to get your confidence up 😉

Danny King runs a column like this in Chess, though the idea was used
    years ago. I think a Reinfeld book started it.

Try not to use well known games as then it becomes a test of memory
    rather than skill (luck).
  9. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 03:25
    I like this a lot! I'd heard that trying to guess gm moves was a good way to improve, but I hadn't ever tried it. This format would make it a lot easier to do.

As far as problems go, the reloading is a bit annoying. For me its not the time, but that the page scrolls back to the top when it reloads shifting the board so I couldn't really see the moves happening.
  10. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 04:35
    Also: I typed Bxf7, and was told it was wrong because the move was Bxf7+
  11. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 05:05
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I am a huge fan of solitaire chess- a few thoughts.

1) starting from the opening is a bit questionable since there are so many alternative but decent moves. Far better to start from the first critical position in the game.

2) I typed nxf3 instead of Nxf3 and it didnt recognize it...

In general, I like the setup and would love to see a couple thousand games on there.
    Yeh, will start games from little later. I thought it would be a good exercise in getting to know an opening.
  12. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 05:31
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    1) Similarly, I entered 'O-O' instead of '0-0' and it didn't recognise it. I guess it actually is '0-0' .. I never really thought about it before.

3) Oh, and a really cool feature would be to allow users to add comments on *why* a move was right or wrong. Kind of a set of u ...[text shortened]... ve .. a chess-wiki, if you will.

About notes - yes I want to add that. So, it will be like your personal wiki - you record thoughts why you played a move? or what you missed etc. Is this what you have in mind? Also, should other users comments be visible?
  13. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 11:38
    Originally posted by vishyanand
    About notes - yes I want to add that. So, it will be like your personal wiki - you record thoughts why you played a move? or what you missed etc. Is this what you have in mind? Also, should other users comments be visible?
    I was thinking more of a discussion forum, allowing several users to discuss the game one move at a time. The problem with GM games is that it can be hard for other people to understand what is going on. If a user doesn't understand why someone played a particular move, they could ask the group and discuss the answers.

This is sort of possible using Fritz, but the analysis from strong humans and the interactivity would add an extra dimension, I think.

But then I can see that some users might not want to see comments from other people .. so you could have an option to 'show my comments only', or 'show all comments'.
  14. Joined
    25 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 12:23
    Originally posted by aquatabby

3) Oh, and a really cool feature would be to allow users to add comments on *why* a move was right or wrong. Kind of a set ...[text shortened]... ve .. a chess-wiki, if you will.

I have added this feature - showing images of right n wrong in the table.Let me know what do you think.
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 12:49
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    5 pts try a few games v Mad Rook to get your confidence up 😉
    Heck, this should even work down to 2, or even 1 pt. (I can't say 0, I have a little pride.) 🙂

To OP: For move 2, I tried entering N-KB3, and it refused to accept it. I even tried Kt-KB3, still no luck. Can't believe it won't take descriptive notation! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree