Some Brief Thoughts Regarding Chess Study

Some Brief Thoughts Regarding Chess Study

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
17 Mar 22

I was recently asked about my approach to studying chess, and I thought I'd publicly post the essence of my reply in case it might be useful.

1. How do I spend my chess study time?

(a) Twice a day, I look at the in-progress games involving three Red Hot Pawn players (TheBigKat, Fred Aborn, and Erika Nu). I try to anticipate what move they will play. Depending on the number of positions in which a move has been made since I last viewed them and on their complexity, this might take me a few minutes to half an hour. (b) I try to solve the problem of the day at chessgames.com, which might take from a few seconds to half an hour. (c) If I'm preparing an article (such as for RHP), I might spend an hour on it at a given brunch.

2. How do I motivate myself to study chess?

When I would study or prepare for tournaments, I earnestly wanted to discover the secrets of whatever position I was thinking about. I didn't want to be doing anything else, because I was absorbed in what I was doing. Even now, when I spend time on chess (as in the activities mentioned in my answer to #1), it's because I enjoy it.

(A list of the threads I've initiated at this forum is available at http://www.davidlevinchess.com/chess/RHP_my_threads.htm .)

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Mar 22

@fmdavidhlevin said
I was recently asked about my approach to studying chess, and I thought I'd publicly post the essence of my reply in case it might be useful.

1. How do I spend my chess study time?

(a) Twice a day, I look at the in-progress games involving three Red Hot Pawn players (TheBigKat, Fred Aborn, and Erika Nu). I try to anticipate what move they will play. Depending on t ...[text shortened]... initiated at this forum is available at http://www.davidlevinchess.com/chess/RHP_my_threads.htm .)
Looking at the progress of the top players on here is a good idea.
I'll wager not many have thought of doing that.
The only thing I would say is if the games are short time span(I think they may be as you mention twice a day),I would think there's likely to be errors.
As for me,I'm far too lazy to do any study.Although I read all of Greenpawn's blogs,I sometimes get lost following his continuation possibilities.
My procedure is to open analyze game on the game.go back a few moves to remind myself what is happening and then stare at the board for a while to look for weaknesses(on both sides)check all checks,,try to work out what my opponent is up to with his last move(players rarely move for no reason),try a few moves and then go back to the main board and move.
I'm never going to be a great chess player or even a good otb player but it works for me.

F

Moves
18 Mar 22

@venda said
The only thing I would say is if the games are short time span(I think they may be as you mention twice a day),I would think there's likely to be errors.
I haven't checked the time limits governing the games of the players I mentioned, but each of them has had periods of a day or longer in which no move has occurred in their active games. Also, my impression is that their standard of play at RHP is high, certainly beyond what I could achieve over the board.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Mar 22

@fmdavidhlevin said
I haven't checked the time limits governing the games of the players I mentioned, but each of them has had periods of a day or longer in which no move has occurred in their active games. Also, my impression is that their standard of play at RHP is high, certainly beyond what I could achieve over the board.
Yes.Even though the rating system on here is not perfect the highly rated players are certainly strong.
For an enthusiast like yourself,I'm surprised you have made so few moves in your time here.

F

Moves
18 Mar 22

@venda said
Yes.Even though the rating system on here is not perfect the highly rated players are certainly strong.
For an enthusiast like yourself,I'm surprised you have made so few moves in your time here.
Actually, I've made even fewer than one might think! (Zero.) But Russ artificially set my move count so that it would meet the threshold for my being able to post in this forum.

e4

Moves
20 Mar 22

Hello again venda,

"As for me, I'm far too lazy to do any study. Although I read all of Greenpawn's
blogs, I sometimes get lost following his continuation possibilities."

I try to keep my analysis very light as I know I am writing mainly for home and
casual players. But if ever you get lost again, and you will not be alone in this,
just drop a wee note on the forum and I or others will clear things up.

I do get the occasional PM regarding a move and when I do I feel I may have
failed in putting in across what I was trying to say. I did at one time consider
asking Russ if he would put a anonymous reaction box at the end of each blog
to let me know I'm on the right track. Something like:

A) Did you enjoy reading it?
B) Did you find anything beneficial?
C) Was it too deep and beyond your understating?
D) I thought it was a load of crap!

But I fear the D's would outnumbered the rest. ( RHP members whose mistake
I have highlighted would 'D' me and continuing give me a 'D' forever!)

I look at 'View Games' from time to time in Gallery Mode looking at the final
positions to see if it may have had an interesting point.
Today I found Game 14774569 which may feature in a future blog.

Drawn due to three fold rep in this position.

I was thinking before the perpetual I bet there was a way for the King
to keep the Knight at bay and win. I was right and it is almost like a study.
(I'm pretty sure I have seen a study based on that set up, it is what 'twigged me.' )

Moves
26 Mar 22

What would be the best book on endgames that you could recommend, if any?

Moves
26 Mar 22

@buzz-meeks said
What would be the best book on endgames that you could recommend, if any?
At what level? I mean, Dvoretzky is justly famous, but frankly beyond me and possibly most of us. I'm just about good enough a player to recognise that a. it's good, and b. it's too good for me.

Ah well. There's always Euwe, though I don't know if his endgame books have been translated into English.

e4

Moves
27 Mar 22

HI Buzz-Meeks

Practical Chess Endings by Keres. It covers everything to get you by in all endings.
It did for me and is the only book on endgames I bought twice. Once in descriptive
notation when it first came out and another in algebraic.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
27 Mar 22

@greenpawn34 said
Hello again venda,

"As for me, I'm far too lazy to do any study. Although I read all of Greenpawn's
blogs, I sometimes get lost following his continuation possibilities."

I try to keep my analysis very light as I know I am writing mainly for home and
casual players. But if ever you get lost again, and you will not be alone in this,
just drop a wee note on the ...[text shortened]... like a study.
(I'm pretty sure I have seen a study based on that set up, it is what 'twigged me.' )
Cheers Geoff and please keep doing the blogs.
One small thing that would make things slightly easier when going thro' the games would be the letters and numbers alongside the board but that would probably be more hassle than it's worth.
After all,a regular viewer should soon know where the "f" file etc is without having to think about it too much!

Moves
28 Mar 22

@venda said
Cheers Geoff and please keep doing the blogs.
One small thing that would make things slightly easier when going thro' the games would be the letters and numbers alongside the board but that would probably be more hassle than it's worth.
After all,a regular viewer should soon know where the "f" file etc is without having to think about it too much!
That would have to be done in the PGN widget, I suspect, and would then apply site-wide. If so, it would be nice if individual players could turn it on or off in the settings.

Maybe you should post about this in Site Ideas. It sounds like something Russ would consider.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
28 Mar 22

@shallow-blue said
That would have to be done in the PGN widget, I suspect, and would then apply site-wide. If so, it would be nice if individual players could turn it on or off in the settings.

Maybe you should post about this in Site Ideas. It sounds like something Russ would consider.
I suspect it's probably not worth it.
Sounds like a lot of work for very little reward but thanks for the suggestion

Moves
30 Mar 22

@greenpawn34 Thanks Greenpawn. I have ordered the Keres book.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
31 Mar 22

@venda said
As for me,I'm far too lazy to do any study.Although I read all of Greenpawn's blogs,I sometimes get lost fol ...[text shortened]... and move.
I'm never going to be a great chess player or even a good otb player but it works for me.
Thank You for your honesty. Sometimes I wish I had the same attitude, however being afflicted with the burning ambition to prove something to myself, I'm facing the "slings and arrows" of improvement, which include consistent OTB games on another site, tactics exercises, and You Tube tutorials. Right now, the rating is on a plateau, but still grinding away - -

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
01 Apr 22

O.K
I've always believed that if something is worth doing it's worth doing it properly and I always try to play my games to the best of my ability,but aspiring to do it to a higher level is a different matter.
You could compare it to mountaineering.
One could aspire to reach the summit of mt Snowdon in Wales, but would one want to try and scale mt Everest?