1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 00:36
    Just got a whining message from one of my opponents complaining that he could not win via timeout as I was on vacation. I remember how hard it was to get the rule that people on holiday could not be timed out. He also complained I should have not started the game so close to my leaving on vacation. Well, we had already played 11 moves, so what is his problem?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 03:061 edit
    "What is his problem?" No need to find out. Those complaints aren't reasonable.

As long as you play within the rules, you don't owe your opponent anything.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 20:46
    Still it seems reasonable to assume that when you start a game under certain time controls that those time controls would be honored.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 22:16
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Still it seems reasonable to assume that when you start a game under certain time controls that those time controls would be honored.
    Vacation is part of the rules and therefore part of the time controls. People should be able to take a break from their games while on travel.

Don't like it? Play on a site that doesn't offer vacation.
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 02:02
    Originally posted by @sundown316
    Just got a whining message from one of my opponents complaining that he could not win via timeout as I was on vacation. I remember how hard it was to get the rule that people on holiday could not be timed out. He also complained I should have not started the game so close to my leaving on vacation. Well, we had already played 11 moves, so what is his problem?
    I feel you dude..that's life..like the jerk that takes 6.9999 days to answer an obvious recapture
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Nov '17 16:07
    Originally posted by @sundown316
    Just got a whining message....

Ask him if he wants a little cheese with that whine. 😀
  7. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 22:48
    Originally posted by @ogb
    I feel you dude..that's life..like the jerk that takes 6.9999 days to answer an obvious recapture
    I'll be honest, I'm that jerk sometimes...... I don't look at every game every day.
    I usually prioritise my moves for games with less time left, so some games drag on for months.

As per the vacation argument, if you are paying subscriber of this site
    then it should be considered reasonable that you enjoy the benefits of this investment.

Sundown... Was the person moaning about this a subscriber?

If not, I would suggest to them that they should subscribe
    so they too can enjoy being able to take a holiday
    without having to stress about making moves on a chess site!
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 03:01
    Originally posted by @ogb
    health and hurricanes are two reasonable explanations for your scenario. It requires more than just elapsed time to arrive at a "jerk" conclusion.

I was playing a casual game against the late Mikelom on the site, and one time he went something line 30 days without a move. Since it was not a clan or tournament game, and it was interesting, I just let it sit. When he came back on I learned about the monsoon in Thailand, and also about his health issues.

Stuff happens, and sometime an internet game is the least of our worries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree